Walk-on Hoosier guard assists in upset win

Freshman forward Juwan Morgan and sophomore guard Robert Johnson go up for a rebound against Iowa Thursday at Assembly Hall. The Hoosiers won 85-78.

This was why he came to IU.

This was why he turned down scholarship offers to play for Ivy League and Division II teams and instead walked on as a Hoosier.

When the IU students started chanting his name in IU’s 85-78 win against No. 4 Iowa, freshman guard Harrison Niego knew he made the right choice.

“This was awesome,” Niego said. “Assembly Hall was rocking, the fans were electric and when they get behind us and we get rolling, it’s a lot of fun to play. That’s definitely a big reason why I decided to come here.”

Niego was part of a bench that outscored its Hawkeye 
counterparts 28-0. Senior forward Max Bielfeldt led the bench scoring with 10 points, one of five Hoosiers who scored in double 
figures.

This bench effort came in a game where senior guard Yogi Ferrell missed eight straight field goals. Freshman center Thomas Bryant and junior forward Collin Hartman were saddled with foul trouble for most of the game.

“That’s what’s so special about our team,” Ferrell said. “Everybody comes in and does what they’re supposed to. They play their role and don’t get discouraged about not getting the ball.”

Niego played seven crucial minutes and only scored two points, but also did so much more.

He helped force an Iowa turnover his first possession in the game. There was a play in the second half where he ripped the ball straight out of a Hawkeye’s hand. He ended up falling out of bounds, but the fans in Assembly Hall didn’t care. The IU student section still erupted.

There was also the efforts of freshman forward Juwan Morgan, who has been sidelined by a combination of injuries and illness so far this season.

He only scored three points, but took turns guarding three different positions for the Hoosiers defensively. Senior guard Nick Zeisloft was a perfect 3-for-3 from behind the arc in the first half.

But it was still Niego who drew the biggest cheers of anyone off the bench. IU Coach Tom Crean said the Hoosiers have lacked guard depth since sophomore James Blackmon Jr.’s injury.

There were still too many players ahead of Niego for the Western Springs, Illinois, native 
to play.

Part of the problem has been Niego’s timidness. Sometimes he just lacks the confidence when the ball is in his hands, Crean said.

In the first half, he found himself with the ball and five seconds left on the shot clock.

He drove around a defender and was able to find a teammate cutting to the basket, but the problem was the shot clock had already expired. Niego was looking to pass instead of shoot.

Crean talked to the freshman after this, and in the second half he did shoot. He found himself alone on the baseline and made his only shot attempt of the game.

“It was a little instinct in the second half,” Niego said. “Everyone’s telling me to be more aggressive. Yogi’s a great leader and is always telling me to be more aggressive and look for my shot.”

When asked if these were the biggest or most important minutes he’s played in his life, Ferrell and Hartman both tried to contain laughter. Niego smiled and said Crean told him he needed to be ready.

He did say these were the biggest minutes of his life. That is, until IU plays next.

“I like to treat every time I get in as my biggest minutes,” Niego said. “I’m getting in and just try to impact the game in any way I can.”