sports baseball

IU baseball swept at Cal State Fullerton

IU hoped to bounce back after a disappointing opening weekend as they headed west to face Cal State Fullerton. Instead, it only got worse for the Hoosiers.

A three game sweep by the Titans extended the Hoosiers’ losing streak to five games. The Hoosiers have just one win this season.

The bats still haven’t appeared for IU since its 14-run outbreak against Middle Tennessee State in the first game of the season. On the hill, the Hoosier starting pitchers have given the team chances to win.

Senior starting pitcher Kyle Hart allowed four runs, two earned, in 5.2 innings of work Friday before exiting the game trailing by one run. Junior relief pitcher Thomas Belcher struck out the last batter of the sixth inning but was then tagged for four runs in the bottom of the seventh to give Fullerton a five run lead and ultimately the victory.

In game two senior starting pitcher Evan Bell tossed seven innings on the hill while striking out six and allowing just one run on two hits. Bell’s only hiccup of the night was allowing a solo home run in the second inning, which let Fullerton snag an early lead.

Junior reliever Jake Kelzer entered the game in the eighth inning for the potential six-out save. Kelzer’s outing was longer than expected as he was stretched out to five innings after Fullerton tied the game on two errors committed by IU on a stolen base attempt.

Sophomore reliever B.J. Sabol replaced Kelzer in the 13th inning, but a rough 14th inning ended with a bases-loaded hit by pitch to give the Titans the victory.

During the series finale senior pitcher Caleb Baragar struck out eight but allowed five runs through 5.2 innings. Three errors in the field were costly for IU and led to three unearned runs.

IU Coach Chris Lemonis shook up the lineup in game two of the series to see if he could gain production from his offense. Senior Brian Wilhite moved from third base to shortstop to replace sophomore Isaiah Pasteur. Wilhite made a few nice defensive plays, including a diving grab to start a double play in the fourth inning.

Wilhite also drove in the only two runs for IU on a double to center field to give the Hoosiers the lead. Sophomore outfielder Logan Sowers exited the game after his second at-bat with an apparent wrist injury and did not play Sunday.

Sophomore outfielder Laren Eustace started in place of Sowers in right field Sunday and hit his first home run as a Hoosier in the third inning. Six unanswered runs from the Titans put the game away, however, with the Hoosiers falling victim to a three game sweep.