How an in-state prospect switched from Michigan to IU

Kiante Enis was committed to Michigan and its coach, Jim Harbaugh. It might have become too much for him.

IU Coach Kevin Wilson said Enis got tired of the attention and of recruiters’ constant nagging. So Enis shut down his recruiting process.

Enis is from Saratoga, Indiana, population 247. Wilson described him as a quiet, shy kid.

What IU did in that time was give him space, Wilson said. While committed to Michigan and not talking to many schools, Enis did not cut ties from IU.

“Sometimes you feel how the kid wants to be recruited, and I think the worst thing to do is over-recruit a kid,” Wilson said. “And if you have a good relationship, trust that and don’t become a burden.”

Enis, whom 247sports has ranked as the No. 34 running back in the nation, visited IU. Then, on Jan. 21, he publicly decommitted from Michigan.

Enis tweeted, “I want everyone to know my scholarship was not pulled and I was not at risk. It was a decision I had to make for myself.”

Winchester Coach Mike Jones told the Muncie Star Press things got easier for Enis after the split with Michigan.

Wilson said sometimes the persona of a kid in a small town who is an excellent athlete can become bigger than he is, and that can be difficult.

“We gave him space, and when he came on the visit I think he felt at ease, and we felt several weeks ago he was coming our way,” Wilson said.

Enis waited until National Signing Day to announce his decision. He chose IU, and the No. 7-ranked player in Indiana became a Hoosier.

Wilson said IU would have liked to bring in more than the two in-state players it has in the 2016 class, but Wilson said it didn’t work out that way this year. Next year, he said he hopes to work harder.

Enis ran for 3,189 yards and 49 touchdowns as a junior at Winchester. Last fall, he finished his career with a 2,393 yard, 35-touchdown season.

At 6-foot-2, 205 pounds, Enis is considered versatile enough to play several positions. Reports said Michigan wanted him to possibly play defense. Wilson said he could play receiver, safety or corner.

But Wilson has him coming in as a running back, his natural position.

“We will see how he handles it,” Wilson said. “He’s got a skill set to play a lot of things.”