COLUMN: Free Kesha

Kesha was once one of the world’s most successful pop artists. But she hasn’t released music since 2012 due to ongoing litigation against her producer and accused abuser, Lukasz “Dr. Luke” Gottwald.

The struggle between Kesha and her producer puts the spotlight on music industry giants in the background that aren’t held accountable for the industry’s corruption.

Hopefully Kesha’s story will allow even more stars to come forward and begin to battle the misogynistic and dangerous culture of the music industry.

In October, Kesha filed a civil suit against Gottwald that he emotionally, physically and sexually abused her in their almost 10-year relationship.

The Manhattan Supreme Court ruled against releasing Kesha from her contract with Kemosabe Records, owned by Sony Music Entertainment.

Gottwald discovered the pop star when she was 18.

According to Kesha’s filed suit, Gottwald convinced her to drop out of high school and move to Los Angeles.

A 2013 New Yorker profile of Gottwald explains why he signed Kesha: “But to have real control — to be more than the appetizer-maker to the queen — Dr. Luke needs to discover and develop his own superstars, so that he can participate in every aspect of their career. That’s what he hoped to do with Kesha.”

Disney is constantly under fire for the same controlling behavior as it has proven to produce mental and physical risks for the young girls trying to escape from it.

Kesha’s lawsuit details sexual assault and manipulation: date rape, verbal abuse Kesha feels resulted in her bulimia nervosa and threats.

The suit also claims Kesha has been denied “any meaningful profit from her work due to Dr. Luke’s exploitation of her over the last decade” because Gottwald refused to negotiate her contract beyond the one-sided contract she signed at 18.

Producing more albums with her abuser and unable to make a living, Kesha would be emotionally attacked with a destroyed career.

This litigation has cost Kesha six years in an industry in which youth is part of the product. Gottwald filed a defamation countersuit that Kesha has made false allegations.

But if it is a business move, it’s an incredibly unwise one.

As her lawyer claimed in court Friday, “Her brand value has fallen ... Kesha will suffer irreparable harm, plummeting her career past the point of no return.”

Sony should never have let it get this far. Gottwald has produced hits with Britney Spears, Kelly Clarkson and Miley Cyrus, none of whom still work with him.

Sony refused to let Kesha go since Kesha makes money, which forced her to remain in an abusive situation.

This ambition and ambivalence for exploited young stars remain trademarks of the music industry. Think Marylin Monroe, think Britney Spears. It is unacceptable, and it must stop, starting with #FreeKesha.