COLUMN: ​For immigrants, the American Dream is dead

When Ana Gutiérrez immigrated to the United States, she never expected for agents of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) to knock on her door and take her and her son into custody for possible deportation.

Why? Because she hadn’t done anything wrong.

In fact, it is in our interests of the American Dream to stand up for her.

Gutiérrez immigrated legally, regularly attended court dates, met with immigration officials and even wore an electronic ankle shackle so they could monitor her whereabouts.

Why is it okay for ICE to target women like Gutiérrez who are merely trying to make a better life for their children?

Many other women currently face the same possibility of deportation. Many of them are being deported to Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala. These countries, also known as the Northern Triangle, account for the most homicidal region on the planet.

Children in this region are targeted and forced into gang initiation.

I don’t know anyone who wouldn’t have done the same exact thing Gutiérrez did in order to protect her family.

These people aren’t leaving their homes just to come over here and steal your jobs. In order to sustain the American Dream, we have the duty to help them.

I would go as far to say that these women and children are refugees, but the Syrians don’t seem to be garnering much sympathy from many Americans, either.

Have we really become so proud we are willing to risk the lives of other human beings just because they weren’t born in the same country as we were?

It would be one thing if Gutiérrez and her son had entered the country illegally.

It would be a little more understandable if she were committing crimes and causing a nuisance.

In this case, someone is minding his or her own business, following all the procedures ICE officials put forth, but taken into custody after immigration officers show up under the false pretense they are police officers looking for a black male criminal. Who is the real criminal?

There are many other ways officials mishandle cases like this by conducting searches without a warrant and forcing these women to sign legal documents they couldn’t even read.

I understand we may not be able to allow any and everyone to immigrate to the U.S. for economic reasons. But if someone’s safety is at serious risk and we can help them, it is our duty to do so.

The same goes for other well-established countries.

There’s no excuse for not showing humanity and compassion to those who aren’t as fortunate as we are.

I couldn’t care less if some private owner of a detention center loses out a bit of money by having fewer detainees.

What I do care about is basic human rights.

Ana Gutiérrez didn’t steal your job, but by deporting her and her son, we are stealing their right to safety.

If detaining and deporting innocent people who are in desperate need of a new home is OK as long as it means someone is getting a payday, then the American Dream is dead.