The Venue to open exhibition for Gallery Walk

By Brooke McAfee

Artist R.J. Hohimer’s paintings, featured in today’s Gallery Walk at The Venue Fine Art & Gifts, capture urban environments and jazz musicians performing piano and saxophone with the use of vivid colors.

Hohimer said that he wants his art to inspire emotional responses from the viewer.

“I want the viewer to become personally involved,” Hohimer said on his website. “My paintings offer a change from those which encourage extensive intellectualizing about what the artist is trying to convey. I want viewers to smile — to enjoy the whimsical nature of what they are experiencing — to feel it, not to analyze it!”

The Venue will host a special opening and reception for the exhibition of Hohimer’s work today at 5 p.m. The gallery features seven paintings he created when he lived in Bloomington. He currently lives in Florida.

The paintings are available for purchase, and The Venue will serve refreshments for the Gallery Walk.

David Colman, one of the Venue’s owners, said he has been familiar with Hohimer’s work for many years, because his work has been featured throughout Bloomington, from restaurants to the law office where Colman used to work.

When Yogi’s Grill and Bar changed owners, The Venue had the opportunity to buy the Hohimer paintings that used to hang inside the restaurant, Colman said.

“These paintings were done in Bloomington while he was still here,” Colman said. “I like it because it’s my hometown. I like it because it’s colorful and dynamic.”

Artists such as Paul Gauguin and Vincent Van Gogh inspire his work, Hohimer said.

Hohimer said painting is a wonderful experience.

“It’s a complete joy,” Hohimer said. “I would recommend anyone to have a creative outlet. “

Painting is close to being in a meditative state, Hohimer said, and it puts you in the present.

He said time does not matter when he is painting.

“The best paintings are done when you’re actually surprised it happened,” Hohimer said. “They should be like a revelation.”

Hohimer said he has fond memories of his time living in Bloomington.

It is an oasis in the middle of Indiana and a strong community, he said.

Colman said he hopes the Gallery Walk encourages students to get off campus and explore Bloomington.

Hohimer’s work will be familiar to many people in Bloomington, Colman said, but it will also appeal to people seeing his work for the first time.

Although his work is at least 20 years old, Colman said, it is still fresh.

“His color palette is strong, and his subject matter is sort of timeless,” Colman said.