sports wrestling

IU seniors helping Hoosiers in conference play

Cole Weaver attempts to pin Alfred Bannister from Maryland in 141-lbs weightclass match on Jan. 17 at University Gym. Weaver defeated Bannister.

IU wrestling already has more Big Ten wins this season than in the past three 
combined.

A large reason for the change has been the freshmen on the team. The freshmen have a combined record of 66-30 on the season, including a 22-4 mark from freshman Elijah Oliver.

Sophomore Luke Blanton called Oliver a “freak athlete.”

“It’s a God-given gift, and I’m definitely taking advantage of it,” Oliver said. “I realize from watching other athletes that in certain areas I tend to succeed more than others.”

For the second time this season, and the first time in conference play, the Hoosiers have a double header this weekend.

IU travels to Michigan State on Friday before traveling to No. 8 Michigan on Sunday. The Spartans sit at 0-5 in conference play, while the Wolverines are at 3-0.

Oliver said he knows how unlikely it is to wrestle as a freshman because most get red shirted. Despite being a freshman, he is using his youth and this season as a learning experience.

The success this season has also brought the team closer together, sophomore Cole Weaver said. He said everyone cheers for each other, even though wrestling is an individual sport in many ways.

“It’s a lot of fun to win with this group of guys,” he said.

IU Coach Duane Goldman said he knows the importance of both matches and knows it is important the team does not look past Michigan State.

“They have a lot of great individual talent on that team,” Goldman said. “They have tough competitors, and we can’t overlook them. We have to look at what’s right in front of us and be ready to go.”

Having a double header brings its challenges, the most notable being weight 
watching.

Oliver said the team has to really focus on eating and drinking right because they have to weigh-in successfully twice this weekend.

Saturday will be a difficult day, he said, because the team will have to be selective in everything they do in order to keep at their desired weight for the dual match on Sunday.

The Hoosiers had one Big Ten win the last five seasons combined, and the team will try to wrestle their way to three and four Big Ten wins this season alone.

Weaver said it’s great to be a part of the resurgence of the program, and it’s an awesome feeling to know they can compete with anybody.

Oliver also agreed it’s a great experience to be a part of this team, but the team can’t be satisfied until the ultimate goal is reached.

“We’re really taking each tournament and practice as a practice for us to get better for the ultimate goal: national champions,” Oliver said. “We can’t be satisfied until we become national champions.”