education

High school graduation rates rise

Region filler image

The Indiana Department of Education released the 2015 high school graduation rates Jan. 15.

The Indiana waiver graduation rate was 88.9 percent in 2015 and the non-waiver rate was 82.8 percent. In 2014, the waiver graduation rate was slightly higher at 89.8 percent, and the non-waiver graduation rate was 83.4 percent.

Indiana students must pass end-of-course assessments to graduate, but some students can receive a waiver and earn a diploma without passing those tests before graduation.

Glenda Ritz, Indiana’s superintendent of public instruction, said she was pleased by the progress made to raise graduation rates.

“The 2015 graduation rate is a testament to the commitment of dedicated educators and the excellence of Hoosier students,” Ritz said in a statement. “As superintendent, I will continue to provide support to our schools so that educators have the resources they need to support Hoosier students.”

Most Bloomington schools performed above the state average. Bloomington High School South had a non-waiver graduation rate of 90.3 percent and a 97.3-percent rate with waivers.

Bloomington High School North’s non-waiver graduation rate was 92.4 percent, and their waivered rate was 96.2 percent. The Bloomington Academy of Science and Entrepreneurship saw a 100-percent non-wavier graduation rate and the Bloomington Graduation School had a 26.9-percent non-waiver graduation rate and a 38.5-percent waivered rate.

In order to get a high school diploma in the state of Indiana, a student has to pass the ISTEP+ Algebra I Graduation Exam and the English 10 Graduation Exam. But what if he doesn’t care for Pythagoras or his theorems? There are three ways students can meet the state graduation examination requirements.

1. Pass the Algebra I and English 10 End of Course Assessments

This is the most straightforward option to meet the requirements outlined by the state. After he completes Algebra I and sophomore-level English, sharpen those number two pencils: it’s time to take the End of Course Assessments.

2. Get an evidence-based waiver

If a student doesn’t pass both exams, he can apply for this waiver if he:

Takes the exams again every year with the goal of passing

Goes to help sessions at his school to prep for retesting

Maintain a C grade point average in all the classes required for graduation

Be present at school with a 95-percent attendance rate

Get a written recommendation from an English or math teacher who says he met the requirements through classwork; the principal has to sign off on this

Complete any local graduation requirements not mandated by the state

OR

3. Get a Work Readiness Waiver

Complete the first four bullet points for the evidence-based waiver

Meet the course and credit requirements for general diploma

Complete a workforce readiness assessment

Do one of the following three: finish a career-exploration internship, earn a workforce credential or finish a cooperative education course