COLUMN: It's becoming time to take IU seriously

Junior forward Troy Williams grabs the rebound during the game against Northwestern on Saturday at Assembly Hall.

Maybe IU’s impressive play can be quantified by the fact we’ve seen Tim Priller in three of the last four Big Ten games.

IU hasn’t just been winning. It’s been winning so convincingly that the walk-ons and bench players are rotating in with a minute or two to go because IU is often winning by 20 or 30 points.

At some point, regardless of competition, this 7-0 start in Big Ten play and 12-game winning streak has to mean something.

Voters have been reluctant to put the Hoosiers past No. 25 in the AP Poll because nobody — including myself — was completely sure what to make of them.

How impressive are these wins? How long will it take for IU to return to normal?

Well, maybe this has become normal. It has become normal for IU to be leading by 30 in Assembly Hall or to take care of business on the road.

Maybe I’m being hypnotized by a winning streak, but I’ve come to expect an offensive rebound or a crisp pass to the right guy. What that really means is the players expect that too. They know what to do and it’s become the expectation to do it.

There’s a certain number of turnovers IU is allowed to have per game. If IU turns the ball over too much, IU Coach Tom Crean makes the team sprint sideline to sideline 17 times. It had to run three 17’s in one practice and Crean said it will likely have to run another tomorrow.

There are standards and, even when IU looks great to an outside viewer, it isn’t quite hitting its goals.

Like how IU kept Northwestern to 57 points today and it wasn’t quite good enough. Senior point guard Yogi Ferrell spoke Saturday about how there were still plenty of stretches where the Hoosiers need to play better defense.

Hearing those things goes against one of the bigger fears about this win streak. The fear is the hypothetical scenario that IU is so used to playing well against these teams it will get complacent and struggle against the top tier teams.

They say that isn’t the case.

Crean talked about how good it is that IU is made up of players who respect opponents and respect the ways in which they win. He talked about the way they prepare.

On the other end, players like senior forward Max Bielfeldt credited Crean and assistant coaches for the way they prepare the players for opponents. If that’s the dynamic, maybe that’s a good sign.

Former Purdue and professional women’s basketball coach Lin Dunn took the time to tweet Saturday that she thinks it’s time to give Crean some credit.

I think she’s right. The Hoosiers have won the gritty games and they’ve blown out teams as well. I’ve doubted the schedule as much as anyone, but 12-straight 
matters.

It’s become a near tradition to see opposing coaches melt down while playing the Hoosiers.

On Tuesday, Illinois Coach John Groce looked like a movie villain ready to snap at any moment in a 34-point loss. Saturday, Northwestern Coach Chris Collins was screaming at assistants early until the second half where it appeared he simply didn’t feel 
anything anymore.

IU is winning in more ways than one, and it’s time to say it just might be real.