sports field hockey

Three Hoosiers named to All-Regional team

Sophomore midfielder Abby Urbanek runs for the ball against Rutgers in the first half. The Hoosiers ended their regular season Nov. 30 by beating the Scarlet Knights 1-0.

The IU field hockey team received three selections to the All-West Region Team this weekend honored by the National Field Hockey Coaches Association, which gives awards to the top players in the country. Junior defender Kate Barber led the way for the Hoosiers, taking home first-team honors while teammates senior defender Sydney Supica and freshman goalkeeper Noelle Rother were named to the second team.

The aggressive 5-foot-1 Barber tallied eight goals and seven assists while racking up two defensive saves en route to a first team selection.

Senior captain Supica recorded a team-high seven defensive saves after not making her first start of the season until the Big Ten opener because of an injury. By adding timely goals and key assists, Supica secured her place on the Big Ten All-Second team as well. Her senior-season play earned her an invite to NFHCA Divison I senior game, where she recorded a hat trick to lead her team to victory in her hometown of Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Having Rother as goalkeeper for the Hoosiers was a blessing for first-year IU Coach Amanda Janney, the coach said. The true freshman from Hamburg, Germany, finished the season with the third-most saves in a single season in IU history with 114, including a 16-save performance on the road against No. 6 Maryland.

Rother finished second in the conference in save percentage at a 0.770 clip, trailing only First Team All-Big Ten selection, Michigan sophomore goalkeeper Sam Swenson. Rother’s athletic ability in goal impressed many in her first year as she was named conference freshman of the week on three separate occasions and defensive player of the week once.