Grunwald Gallery welcomes new exhibitions

From IDS reports

Throughout the year, the Grunwald Gallery of Art shows work from a combination of known artists and students from the Henry Radford Hope School of Fine Arts. The latest round of exhibitions opened Tuesday and will debut with an opening reception at 6 p.m. Friday, according to a press release.

The first of the exhibitions is the BFA Thesis Show. The works in the show will include a range of aesthetic viewpoints expressed through digital art, graphic design, metalsmithing and jewelry design, painting, photography, printmaking and sculpture. Graduating Bachelor of Fine Arts students contributed all works on display. These shows give students the opportunity to gain professional experience in planning and executing their own shows, according to the release.

The students exhibiting are Gretchen Chu in painting, Paige Hoeppner in photography, Matthew Hughes in graphic design, Allison Price in sculpture, Travis Landuit and Phillisha Wathen in printmaking, Miranda Shang in smithing, Emma Smedberg in sculpture and Patrick Stefaniak in digital art.

This annual show celebrates students’ travels abroad through the School of Fine Arts and the Office of Overseas Study. This year’s collection contains artwork from three study abroad programs taught by faculty in the IU Fine Arts Department. These exhibitions will also display a variety of artistic styles based on the subjects covered in each class.

The programs presented include Intaglio Printmaking and Artist Books taught by Paul Brown in Venice, Italy; Drawing taught by Tim Kennedy in Florence, Italy; and “Photography and Video in Japan: Exploring the Past and Present,” taught by Jeffrey Wolin and Kevin Mooney in Kyoto, Japan, and Tokyo.