opinion letters

LETTER: Senator Donnelly should support the Clean Power Plan

I urge the editors at the Indiana Daily Student to call on Senator Joe Donnelly, D-Ind., to support the Clean Power Plan (CPP) and reject the Congressional review joint resolution that threatens this important response to climate change.

In a reply from his office, the senator states that “Indiana already has one of the world’s cleanest coal plants.” In actuality, Carbon Capture and Sequestration technologies are decades away. In short, clean coal is a fallacy.

Sen. Donnelly explains that Indiana is being required to reach a nearly 40 percent reduction goal, “one of the highest.” In fact, 13 states have tougher goals and 32 states have goals above 30 percent. CPP 
allows for regional, multi-state plans. So we’re not exactly on our own as the Senator implies.

The CPP expects eastern region states to produce 20.5 percent of their energy with renewables by 2030. The Indiana Department of Environmental Management says Indiana has five times the wind energy potential needed to meet the CPP goals. Already, Iowa gets 25 percent of its energy from wind.

Clearly these goals are not out of our reach. All we need is the political will. Please encourage Sen. Donnelly to provide that 
leadership.