Are you ready for a pet commitment?

Midterms set in. You stay up for hours studying for three different tests. When you finally crawl into your bed of warm, fuzzy blankets, you miss your best friend. The one who would stay up with you at night when you had so much to get done. The one who stayed in bed with you all day and was sad when you had to leave. The one that greeted you as you walked through the door each day.

Going to college oftentimes means that you have to leave your pet at home. But when students get the opportunity to move off campus, the possibility of a pet opens up for them once again.

However, with busy schedules and numerous obligations, there are many things to consider before getting a pet in college.

Do you have enough time?

Pets, no matter what kind you get, require time and attention. You can’t leave them for incredibly long periods of time, especially a dog. Before getting a pet, consider the amount of time you can commit to them. This is somewhat easier if you have roommates who can help you with the care and upkeep, but it should be a consideration before you make a large commitment to an animal.

Can you afford it?

Caring for a pet is more expensive than you think. There are many expenses for cats, dogs, fish, snakes and whatever other pet you are considering. These include food, vet visits, medicine, toys, treats, beds, scratching posts, pet carriers and more. The costs of a pet can stack up quickly.

Are you allowed?

It’s incredibly important to check your lease before deciding to adopt an animal. Leases will specify whether pets are allowed or not. If they are allowed, there are often pet deposits and a monthly fee that the pet owner has to pay in order to allow the pet to live in the house. If you keep a pet in the house without notifying your landlord or management company, they are authorized to impose hefty fines or other retributions.

If you do decide to adopt a pet, make sure you select the right one for you. There are many options right here in Bloomington for students looking to offer an animal at home. If you have the time, money and ability to adopt a pet, they make great additions to home. There is nothing better than coming home after a long day at class to friend waiting for you.

akgraham@indiana.edu | @alisonkgraham