YouTube star Tyler Oakley to sign books in IMU

Rebecca and daughter Abigail Miller sit at the front of the line for Tyler Oakley on Thursday night outside of the closed IU Bookstore in the IMU. The Millers got in line around 4 p.m. on Thursday and will be there until at least 8 a.m. Friday until they get a wristband to come back and meet and have a book signed by Oakley at 5 p.m.

Abigail Miller and mother Rebecca Miller were first in line behind a barrier of yellow caution tape outside the Indiana Memorial Union Bookstore. Their folding chairs were stationed at the doors since 4 p.m. Thursday — after Bloomington North High School senior Abigail’s final class — waiting for wristbands granting them access to YouTube celebrity Tyler Oakley’s appearance at IMU.

Oakley will be in the IMU Bookstore today signing copies of his new book, “Binge.”

The two planned to stay by the storefront until 8 a.m., when the 500 wristbands will be distributed. Rebecca said they brought blankets.

Oakley, a 26-year-old Michigan State University alumnus, has nearly 8 million subscribers on YouTube and more than 500,000,000 channel views. He is also a prominent LGBT activist and social rights advocate.

Since beginning his YouTube channel eight years ago as a college freshman, Oakley has been named one of TIME’s Most Influential People on the Internet, has interviewed first lady Michelle Obama and has been a co-host on the Streamy Awards, which recognizes excellence in directing, acting, producing and writing in online video, with YouTuber Grace Helbig.

Joe Bender, general manager of the bookstore, said the store will begin selling the books at 8 a.m. The customer will initially receive a bracelet in place of the book. Those with bracelets will go upstairs to meet Oakley, have a picture taken with him and receive a signed copy of “Binge” at 
5 p.m.

Books are $24 plus tax and must be purchased at the bookstore. There are no additional costs to meet Oakley. Up to three bracelets may be purchased per person, and the bracelets must be worn when meeting Oakley.

“There are only 500 ‘bracelets for books’ for sale, so we’re recommending that folks get here early,” Bender said. “We’re anticipating a line at the door when we open.”

Junior business student McCaul Sawina said she plans to arrive at the IMU at 6 a.m., two hours before the store’s opening and almost 12 hours prior to Oakley’s arrival.

She said Oakley has been a reminder to her that success comes from being true to yourself.

“In high school, and even in college to some extent, there’s always a lot of pressure to change who you are in order to make others happy,” she said. “Tyler’s videos were always a reminder to continue being myself, and I’m excited to be able to thank him for that in person.”

Bender said those arriving early should do so through the Biddle Hotel entrance.

The line begins at the IU Bookstore entrance on the main level of the IMU, across from Sugar and Spice.

Personal photographs are not allowed, but the photographer at the event will send instructions on how to access the photos online following the event.

“It’s always exciting to have an event that resonates with our students and our local community,” Bender said.

Abigail said she jumped on the chance to see Oakley in Bloomington because, as a YouTube personality, chances to see him are often limited to the computer screen.

She said he really resonates with teens and young adults, and addresses issues that people in their lives might shy away from.

“He brings them to the forefront,” Abigail said. “He connects with you and says things that, I mean, no one else will talk to you about.”

Abigail will go to school tomorrow with her wristband, and return at 5 p.m. for 
Oakley’s appearance.

“I really want to thank him for just — just making my days better, and just being there for me I guess, even though he doesn’t know me at all,” she said.