Students gear up for homecoming parade

Homecoming Parade

Of all the student groups preparing for the homecoming parade Oct. 17, the students at Collins LLC might be the most excited.

Aimes Dobbins, the campus involvement director at Collins, said the group has been meeting for three weeks, hoping to create an entry that will win first place.

“I’m very passionate about homecoming,” Dobbins said. “Everyone thinks Collins is strange and weird and doesn’t have school spirit.”

Last year, Collins had enough school spirit to place first for its float in the Residence Life Division. Dobbins pulled a large red a gold trophy from a shelf and held 
it up.

“I’m really proud of this,” Dobbins said.

Last year, the group drove Dobbins’ IU-themed Jeep down Kirkwood Avenue, with some people walking behind and handing out candy.

Dobbins wouldn’t say what the group’s float idea is for this year because it wants to win again.

“We are bringing out Collins artifacts from the depths of the Smith attic,” Dobbins said. “But that’s all I can say.”

Dobbins said it was possible that Collins came first in its category last year because few residence halls participated in the parade and all entries participate in different categories. Collins hopes to see more residence halls out this year.

Isabel Hale, a student fellow at the IU Alumni Association said a lot of student organizations register floats, but the number of organizations participating this year is undetermined.

“People wait until the last minute to register,” Hale said. “There’s no cap. However many we get we try to fit in.”

Hale said groups like ROTC, La Casa Latino Cultural Center and the Athletic Board would be returning this year. The Alumni Association also tries to get an IU sports team to participate in the parade, but so far no one has been confirmed.

“Last year we had the softball and baseball teams,” Hale said. “IU Athletics always does some sort of fireworks as they walk and that’s really cool.”

La Casa administrative assistant Leticia Gonzalez said the center is planning a cultural entry for this year.

“We’re trying to do something based on a quinceañera,” Gonzalez said.

In a way, Dobbins said they are trying to change the perception of the Collins culture for the IU community.

“We’re dedicated to bringing people together for IU,” Dobbins said. “It’s important for us to prove that we’re passionate about IU. I think people were excited for Collins to come out.”