Names released in relation to bodies found in off-campus apartment

The Bloomington Police Department released the names of the two dead bodies found in Stratum Apartments on Wednesday night.

Yaolin Wang, a 21-year-old female, was a junior who transferred to IU this fall from North Seattle Community College to study at the Kelley School of Business, according to a statement from Provost Lauren Robel. The 20-year-old man, Chuanlin Xiao, was not an IU student, IU spokesperson Mark Land said.

At 9:21 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 30 BPD responded to Stratum Apartments, 3130 Goodnight Way, in reference to a male and female being found in the common area of one of the apartment buildings.

When officers arrived, they found Xiao dead from an apparent suicide by hanging. Near him, officers discovered Wang dead from apparent stab wounds. Based on preliminary investigations detectives believe Wang was killed by Xiao who then took his own life.

Xiao and Wang had been in a relationship for approximately six months. They had lived together at the apartment on Goodnight Way for approximately a month. No additional individuals are thought to be involved, according to the 
release.

BPD has an investigation underway, but police have confirmed this was an isolated event that poses no threat to students.