sports women's soccer

IU loses Big Ten berth in loss to Ohio State

Junior midfielder Veronica Ellis dribbles out of bounds during the game against Ohio State Sunday afternoon at Bill Armstrong Stadium. The Hoosiers lost to the Buckeyes 1-2.

After IU acknowledged the crowd at Bill Armstrong Stadium after Sunday’s loss to Ohio State, sophomore defender Annelie Leitner slowly made the long walk across the field to the locker room with her head down.

Leitner’s walk, which sported an ice pack on her left foot after a minor injury, resembled the aftermath of what has been a frustrating 2015 campaign for IU.

Despite an early second-half goal from leading scorer and senior midfielder Jessie Bujouves that tied the game, the Hoosiers conceded with just five minutes remaining in a 2-1 loss to the Buckeyes.

“I’m so proud of this team,” Bujouves said. “It’s not what we wanted, it’s not the season we wanted, but to me, these girls and what we’ve overcome mean more to me than one women’s soccer game. Once we leave here, we’ll never leave IU women’s soccer.”

The loss to Ohio State was IU’s last straw for an improbable appearance in the Big Ten tournament. The 12th-place Hoosiers entered and left Sunday’s affair with just four points and zero wins in Big Ten play. Eight teams will qualify for the conference tournament in November.

The Buckeyes were able to combat the Hoosiers’ early momentum with a tally in the 24th minute to open the scoring. Ohio State junior forward Lindsay Agnew’s shot rocketed off the bottom of the crossbar and bounced in. Ohio State was able to create multiple chances in the first half following its first goal, but IU was able to end the first half with just a one-goal deficit.

“We talked about having a little bit of grit and effort,” IU Coach Amy Berbary said. “I thought we were better than we were on Thursday. We just came up short and gave them a goal.”

Bujouves’ third goal of the season, scored in the 50th minute, was created by a cross from freshman defender Justine Lynn. Lynn’s bouncing ball eventually fell to the feet of Bujouves, whose arching shot went past Buckeye junior goalkeeper Jillian McVicker on the far post.

“I saw the space on the far side,” Bujouves said. “Justine got her head up and played a great ball in. I was able to get my foot on it and place it the best I could.”

Despite strong attacking from the Hoosiers throughout the second half, the Buckeyes were able to secure the win in the 85th minute. Agnew, the prior goalscorer, played a ball to senior forward Michela Paradiso in the center of the box. Paradiso, unmarked, rocketed a shot past IU senior goalkeeper Sarah Stone to seal the win.

“This was it for us,” Bujouves said. “We needed a win. We knew that we had to win and if we lost, we were pretty much done in terms of making the Big Ten tournament.”

IU had previously tied Maryland at home Thursday night, as both teams converted on their respective penalty kicks throughout the game. Berbary said this weekend’s focus was about trying to leave everything on the field.

“We absolutely did,” Berbary said about the effort. “I’m very proud of this team. I think as a program, the results haven’t come, but I think we’re a better team than we were two years ago. The frustrating part is that our seniors have helped us build this, and they don’t get to continue on. The future is bright.”

The loss to the Buckeyes mathematically eliminated the Hoosiers from appearing in the 2015 Big Ten tournament. However, IU’s season is not finished as it will travel to Michigan State on Sunday before playing for the Golden Boot at home against Purdue on Oct. 28.

“Purdue will be very emotional,” Berbary said. “It always is. It’s senior night, and we still have the pressure of not having won on our home field. It’s our last game and we want to leave it all out there. We’ll get back to work this week. We’re not going to stop.”