Domestic abuse victim advocate receives state recognition

Indiana Attorney General Greg Zoeller presents Victim Advocate with the Middle Way House Monica Hernandez with the Voices for Victims Award Thursday afternoon at the Middle Way House. The award is to recognize Hernandez's dedication to helping and providing a voice to the victims of demostic violence in Indiana.

Victims of domestic abuse in Indiana have a legal right to be treated with dignity and respect, according to the Indiana Constitution. Monica Hernandez helps that right become a reality.

Hernandez, a victim advocate with Middle Way House, was awarded a Voices for Victims award Thursday for her work to ensure victims of abusive relationships have access to the assistance and resources they need.

Middle Way House is a nonprofit organization that provides emergency housing and shelter to victims of violence and abuse in Bloomington.

When she learned she had received the award, Hernandez said she was shocked. She had nominated someone else for the distinction.

The award was presented at Middle Way House by Indiana Attorney General Greg Zoeller. This is the first year that awards of this kind are being given, and only 10 were awarded throughout the state.

“We’ve really tried to look at how we can do more in terms of breathing life into our constitutional promise,” Zoeller said. “It takes special, selfless people to live out that promise.”

The awards program is part of Indiana’s new Victims Services and Outreach Division, which was established by Zoeller in May 2015.

“Monica is one of the most devoted advocates that I’ve had the pleasure of working with,” said Jen Burch, a crisis intervention access coordinator. “She is phenomenal at her job, and she maintains such passion and dedication through her work.”

At only 23 years old, Hernandez is currently working two jobs. Along with her position at Middle Way, she works for IU’s Foster International Living-Learning Center.

During her time at the center she has worked to raise awareness about rape and sexual assault resources within the city’s Hispanic community.

Hernandez is fluent in French and Spanish and is learning Chinese. She recently helped the attorney general’s office by translating new Address Confidentiality and Hope Card materials into French and Spanish. These resources will help non-English speaking victims of abuse acquire a confidential address. This allows them to receive mail without their abusers being able to find them.

Hernandez said she likes doing her job in Monroe County because the government has set up a system in which there is a lot of collaboration between government offices and nonprofits such as Middle Way. This way, it’s easy for people to file for protective orders.

“Once we actually get to interact with the clients, that’s when I really feel like I’m doing something for them,” Hernandez said. “That one paper can sometimes make such a big difference in their lives.”

Hernandez is undecided about what her future career path might be. She said she might attend law school in order to continue advocating for victims in the 
courtroom.