COLUMN: Bloomington needs more four-way stops

For the year and a half I have lived in Bloomington, I have cringed almost every day walking past the two-way stops on Grant Street. 

People rushing to arrive at their destination, blind corners and two-way stops at a four-way intersection are a recipe for serious 
disaster.

Too many times I’ve heard the relentless honking of an angry driver who has been cut off on Grant.

The sad thing is most of the time this does not seem like the result of a completely careless driver.

It can be nearly impossible to see around some of the parked vehicles or shrubbery on Eighth and Grant streets into oncoming traffic.

Other drivers assume these intersections are four-way stops — which they should be — and 
casually roll through the stop signs.

I cannot count how many near accidents I’ve seen at these intersections, nor would I want to.

Friday afternoon it finally happened.

I was walking in front of Grant Street Inn approaching Eighth and Grant when I heard two young women shriek down the road.

Looking up, time stood still as I braced for the impact, even though I was not a part of what was 
happening.

Brakes screeched as I witnessed two cars collide in an accident.

I felt the impact in my chest.

Though no one was hurt, I could not help but feel angry it had finally come to this, and I was uneasy knowing it could have easily been me.

It was obvious nearby pedestrians were shaken up by what they had just 
witnessed.

To make the situation even more confusing, there was not even a sign to notify drivers that cross-traffic does not stop.

I know it is not that hard to look across the street and notice whether or not there is a stop sign on the corner, but the truth of the matter is, people do not always do that.

This was not the first time something like this had come close to happening and, sadly, I am sure it will not be the last.

With all of the confusing one-way streets and strange intersections in the residential area surrounding campus, it is a wonder more people are not getting into accidents.

People speed down those roads all the time, knowing they do not have a stop sign, and if something is not done, eventually it is going to result in someone being seriously injured.

I just hope it does not take a serious accident or tragedy for something to be done about these dangerous conditions.

Bloomington is in serious need of more four-way stops. The few extra seconds it takes a driver to stop at these intersections is more than worth it if it means keeping people safe and possibly saving lives.