COLUMN: Amy Schumer handles tragedy in public better than most celebrities

Celebrities are often in the position to take a stand on social issues, despite often having no qualifications.

It is an unfortunate side effect of choosing to live in the public eye, and it possibly sends a negative message about our society when we look to actors for policy ideas.

So many celebrities aren’t up to the challenge, and almost no one can be perfect in public all the time.

That is why it is so refreshing when a celebrity does get it right.

Amy Schumer has come out in support of gun control following a shooting that took place July 23 at a showing of her movie “Trainwreck” in Lafayette, Louisiana. Three people were killed in the shooting, including the shooter. Since August, she and her cousin, Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-NY., have teamed up to speak against gun violence.

Amy Schumer has spoken on multiple occasions about how the shooting felt very personal to her, which motivated her to work with her cousin toward a solution that would lessen the possibility of another tragedy. She and Sen. Schumer first had a press conference Aug. 3, where they urged lawmakers for better background checks and mental health screenings when purchasing guns.

“The critics scoff and say, ‘Well, there’s no way to stop crazy people from doing crazy things,’ but they’re wrong,” she said, according to time.com. “There is a way to stop them. Preventing dangerous people from getting guns is very possible.”

Both Schumers came out again Oct. 25 at New York City Hall to bring specific attention to legislation that would close loopholes that don’t require background checks at gun shows and online.

Not only is the cause a worthy one — especially when we, as a country, have faced so many gun-related massacres this year alone — but even though her hand was forced on this issue, other celebrities should take note of the elegance and determination with which Amy Schumer has 
handled it.

Many actors and actresses abuse their space in the public eye. As in the recent case of Matt Damon, they can often forget to think before they speak — a detrimental thing when their words carry more weight than those of the average person. But it is precisely their unparalleled place in the public eye that makes us expect them to take stands on social issues, even when it isn’t their place.

Unfortunately, the tragedy that occurred at the showing of “Trainwreck” put Amy Schumer in exactly that place. She was suddenly expected to take a stance on a hot-button issue that I’m sure she never thought she would have to formally 
address.

She has risen to the task better than most. She responded promptly and, better yet, she was able to divert attention to her cousin, 
Sen. Schumer, who is in the political sphere with a real ability to make changes.

Others who find themselves in this situation might use the opportunity to express their opinions and leave it at that. Amy Schumer not only took a stance on this issue, but she also seems to be really 
attempting to enact change.

Amy Schumer is not a perfect example of social justice, and the pressure we put on professional actors to represent the country’s 
moral compass is wrong.

However, in a situation that so many have failed to navigate well, Schumer has managed to handle a delicate and tragic situation with poise, sincerity and, most importantly, real 
action.