​Unity of Bloomington hosts World Day of Prayer

Ginger Curry, center, leads other members of Unity of Bloomington in song during the church's World Day of Prayer service on Thursday.

Flames of the candles glimmered faintly as the twilight filtered through the windowpanes. Wick after wick was ignited as community members stepped up to a microphone to give their prayer requests.

“We’re going to light candles as a way of symbolizing the light we want to bring into the lives of those names we read,” said Rev. Lynnette Carlson, coordinator of World Day of Prayer.

An aura of reverence permeated the chapel. The rhythmic tap of the bongo drum, the melodic sound of the piano and Christian hymns echoed throughout the vaulted wooden ceiling as community members gathered to commemorate the World Day of Prayer.

The Unity of Bloomington Center for Spiritual Growth hosted the 22nd annual World Day of Prayer on Thursday. The theme of this year’s celebration was “Pray up your life, pray up 
your world.”

“Prayer is pretty much the foundation of what unity teaches,” Rev. Carlson said. “The basis for today’s theme is that prayer is conscious, intentional communion with God, and the goal is to consciously pray all the time, for every purpose, and that creates a positive 
energy.”

Carlson said she relished the opportunity to unite people for the sake of prayer.

“Unity honors the many names for God, the many paths to God, the many ways to worship God,” she said. “There is only one power and presence of God, and that God loves each one of us equally,” she said. “Unity stands for peace in our 
lifetime.”

People were invited to write the names of people they wanted to make prayer requests for. The prayer requests ranged from family and friends to congressmen and women to the whole city of Bloomington.

Some members in attendance said they believe the World Day of Prayer is 
important.

“This event — and prayer in general — helps me in my life,” said Zara Pelfree, member of the Unity of Bloomington. “Praying at my world is something that has a lot of power for me and helps with my self-confidence and helps me move on with whatever issues I come across in my life.”

On the World Day of Prayer, Unity congregation across the United States join together for an evening of prayer.

“I get peace knowing that people are praying for any and everybody,” said Edith Gingles, member of Unity of Bloomington. “I believe the more people pray, the better the outcome.”

The World Day of Prayer event is emblematic of what Unity believes in, Carlson said.

“Unity believes that God is all good everywhere present,” she said. “What we’re doing in our prayers is seeking to align ourselves with the goodness that is God.”