weekend

"The Late Show with Stephen Colbert" shows that Colbert will succeed wherever he goes

ENTER TV-PICKS LA

Don’t worry.

The real Stephen Colbert is just as perfect as his conservative, pompous Comedy Central character.

“The Late Show with Stephen Colbert,” the latest addition to the late night talk show realm, aired its first episode Tuesday, living up to the expectations of critics and fans of Colbert’s former show “The Colbert Report”.

Colbert has not lost his style, which many people feared was associated solely with his character on the “Report.” On Comedy Central, Colbert played a fictional conservative news pundit, à la Fox News host, named Stephen Colbert. He would rarely break character on his show or appear to be the real Colbert in public, resulting in the questioning of his personal humor and beliefs.

Greeted with a jump-cut video rendition of the national anthem and leg-kicking as soon as he entered on stage, it was obvious the last nine years have been Colbert’s true style in a more selfish demeanor. His speedy monologue delivery is still the same — not taking long pauses and the conversational tone of many other late night hosts — and the format of his jokes is still the same. Photos in the top left of the screen and shoutouts to former “Report” and current “Late Show” director Jim Hoskinson — better known as Jimmy to viewers — can still be found and show no signs of stopping.

Everything Colbert was celebrated for on the “Report” was exactly why CBS hired him. His style translated well to an hour-long format, which is sure to increase viewership.

Colbert was praised for his guest line-up before “The Late Show” aired. He brought guests from presidential candidates to actors to CEOs. However, the interviews with George Clooney and former Gov. Jeb Bush on Tuesday’s episode were weak, rocky and less improvised. Colbert has often said his favorite part of his programs are interviews, improvising and interacting with someone else who is really leading the conversation. Poor questioning, unenthusiastic guests and some nerves on Colbert’s end made the middle part of the show weak. He saved it by jamming out with the show’s band, Jon Batiste and Stay Human, along with Ben Folds, Mavis Staples and others to “Everyday People” by Sly and the Family Stone.

As long as Colbert keeps up his beloved wit and smooths out his interviews, there will always be an audience to chant “Ste-phen” at the beginning of his show.