IU Health CEO to retire, COO to take top position

IU Health will soon have a new president and CEO.

Current CEO Daniel F. Evans Jr. announced his plans to retire in 2016 on Tuesday, according to a press release by IU Health. Evans’ announcement came after 13 years as president and CEO.

Dennis M. Murphy, currently executive vice president and COO, will be promoted to the top spot in IU Health. He will begin his duties as president of IU Health immediately, but he will not become CEO until May 1, 2016 — the day Evans plans to retire.

“We sought Dennis out because of the breadth and depth of his experience, his track record of innovation and success, and his proven leadership skills,” Evans said in the release. “I’ve grown even more deeply impressed with him as we’ve worked side-by-side for the past two years. We are indeed fortunate to have a nationally recognized leader like Dennis to lead IU Health into 
the future.”

Under Evans’ supervision, IU Health has expanded from three Indianapolis hospitals to a statewide health system of almost 20 hospitals and health centers that treat roughly 2.5 million patients every year, according to 
the release.

“Under Dan’s remarkable tenure as CEO, IU Health has evolved into one of the finest hospital systems in the country and one that is steadfastly devoted to providing Indiana residents the highest possible standard of care,” IU President Michael A. McRobbie said in the release.

Evans helped to develop the Strategic Research Initiative, a five-year collaboration between IU Health and the IU School of Medicine. The $150 million initiative is meant to advance research and pioneer groundbreaking treatments for patients with cancer, cardiovascular disease and neurological disorders.

“The deep partnership between Indiana University and IU Health is vital to both institutions — as well as to the state of Indiana — and Dan’s determined leadership and commitment to creating a world-class academic health enterprise has been critical to our combined success.”

During Evans’ time as CEO and president, IU Health was continuously listed in the prestigious annual Best Hospital rankings in “U.S. News & World Report.” The report also ranks the organization as the top hospital in Indiana.

Evans recently announced a $1 billion investment in an adult academic health center for downtown Indianapolis. The health center will be a large part of IU Health’s system of care as the organization’s principle referral center for patients who have severe illnesses and complex cases.

“Dan’s vision and leadership have built IU Health into one of the most respected and skilled healthcare systems in the nation,” Chair of IU Health Board of Directors Anne Nobles said in the release. “We are grateful for his sustained leadership and positive influence on the organization. During the transition period, Dan and Dennis will work together to continue the momentum they have created to keep IU Health strong and able to deliver on our mission of improving the lives of our patients, families and communities.”