sports women's soccer

IU goalkeeper plays key role in team defense

Sarah Stone is more than just a goalkeeper.

The redshirt senior is a key component of IU’s defense, and is a “beast,” according to senior midfielder Jessie Bujouves.

Through eight games against the Hoosiers’ nonconference opponents, Stone has posted 1.06 Goals Against Average (GAA). The Evansville native has been credited with four shutouts in those eight games, making history along the way in the second-longest scoreless streak in program history.

On Sunday night, the Hoosiers returned home to face an in-state rival that had not played for a week. IU, meanwhile, was tasked with rebounding from a 2-0 defeat Friday to No. 13 Notre Dame. In what IU Coach Amy Berbary called “the worst half of soccer that we played all year,” Stone was right there to keep her team in the game against Ball State.

The Cardinals, at times, were relentless on attack against the IU defense. But with a strong backline of defenders redshirt junior Marissa Borschke, senior Emily Basten, sophomore Annelie Leitner and true freshman Caroline Dreher, the entire IU defense was able to survive Ball State’s attacks.

“They’re always covering and working for each other,” Stone said. “It’s really nice to see how much they care about each other and the fight that they give.”

That fight was captured in a specific moment Sunday evening at Bill Armstrong Stadium. Ball State goalscorer Chelsy Swackhamer created an acrobatic play with a bicycle kick that just nearly went off the crossbar. The rebound fell right to the feet of a Cardinal attacker, a mere six yards from the goal line. Stone was able to display her talent by getting in front of the strike before the Hoosier defense cleared it away.

“She’s just incredible,” Bujouves said. “I’m just thinking, ‘Thank you, thank you so much.’ She has come up so big for us over and over again. She’s probably going to do that the rest of the season, so obviously she’s a huge part of our team.”

While Stone is well on her way to surpassing last season’s shutout total of five, this season is not the first time Berbary’s team has been able to rely on its last line of defense. A year ago, Stone was able to post a 1.32 GAA in over 1,600 minutes of play. Stone’s lights-out play has become a frequent occurrence for the Hoosiers, but the senior isn’t shying away from the pressure.

“I think they appreciate it when I do make big saves,” Stone said. “They also somewhat expect it. I don’t get to hold the ball very much, so when I do, I have to make a save. I try to stay as composed as possible, those are the moments that I look forward to. That’s why I play this position, I like that pressure.”

The Hoosiers have only played eight games, but it has already been quite the eventful season. IU has faced numerous national championship contenders, suffered multiple season-ending injuries and endured five straight games away from Bloomington. Throughout all that, throughout all the offensive struggles and setbacks, Stone has been a voice of experience among a young Big Ten team.

“I just hope she can continue to help us, because we’re going to need her all year,” Berbary said. “She’s phenomenal back there. When the going gets tough she doesn’t speak a lot, but when she does, people listen.”