Inside planned your perfect Labor Day weekend

We’ve planned your perfect Labor Day Weekend.

Sure, it may be 90+ degrees outside, but it’s Labor Day this Monday which means one thing…it’s almost fall. Leaves changing colors, pumpkin spice lattes, not sweating profusely on the way to class, all of it is almost yours!

Labor Day Weekend is one of my favorite “events” in Bloomington. From food festivals to football games, I always feel like there are too many things to see and do in one weekend…until now. Without further ado, the official, INSIDE approved, Labor Day Weekend schedule to make all your friends jealous.

Friday

5-11pm Celebrate the beginning of the long weekend by listen to some grassroots music at the Hillbilly Haiku Americana Music Festival. Award-winning Larry Keel Experience will headline this annual Americana Music Festival held at Upland Brewpub, 350 W 11th Street. Tickets are $15 in advance and $20 at the door, but all proceeds go to the Sycamore Land Trust, an organization that works to preserve and restore the Southern Indiana natural heritage. So, if legal, drink that Upland beer, you’re doing it for a good cause. 

Saturday

10:30am-12pm Appreciate Bloomington’s artists at the 4th Street Festival of the Arts and Crafts. Since 1977, this free street festival on Fourth and Grant Streets has brought the best of Bloomington’s art scene. Make sure to stop and listen at the music stage and the spoken word stage. 

12:15-2pm Walk two blocks to Third Street Park and experience something completely different at the GarlicFEST & Bloomington Community Art Fair. Music will also be playing at this event, but the focus will instead be on healthy eating, particularly a celebration of garlic. Pretend to be a kid to learn how to grow garlic at the KidZone, try a garlic chocolate chip cookie and look at garlic inspired artwork. You might leave smelling like garlic, but it’s definitely worth it. 

2:30-8pm Tailgate and celebrate the beginning of the IU football team’s season with their first game against Southern Illinois. So break out your spirit jerseys, candy striped overalls, and everything cream and crimson, ‘cause we are IU (get hype listening to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0LbpmwEqdY). 

10:30pm-late Laugh ‘til you cry at the Best of the 7th Annual Bloomington Comedy Festival. The Comedy Attic, 123 S Walnut Street, always attracts incredible comedians, and these art the best from their summer long comedy competition. Performers include Mo Mitchell, Bob Nugent, Doug Drury, Jordan Mather-Licht and Stephanie Lochbihler. Still not convinced? David Britton, the back-to-back Bloomington Comedy Festival winner will be there. At $10 a ticket, this is practically a steal. 

Sunday

2-4:30pm Make some crazy soap creations at the Soap Scultping Workshop. Hosted by the Soapy Soap Company Production Warehouse, 300 West Hillside Drive, this event includes a tour of the warehouse, a talk about how they create their soaps and the opportunity to sculpt your own at only $30 for adults and $15 for children! You’ll leave with a unique treasure sure to be a conversation starter at your next dinner party. 

9pm Sing your heart out at The Back Door’s So You Think You Can Karaoke? With DJ ENGLISH. No cover for karaoke and $2.50 drink deals? Um, yes please. 

Monday

12-3pm Mourn the end of your three-day weekend by going hiking around Griffy Lake. There are a variety of trails available for all hiking levels, each of them exploring a different area of the lake. If you don’t feel like walking, fulfill your outdoorsy bug by canoeing or kayaking on the lake at only $7 an hour. And at only 2 miles from campus, what could be a better way to spend your afternoon? 

4-8pm Stop by Pizza X, 1791 E 10th Street, for their Free Breadstix Day. Get some for your friends, your family, your cat, the IU squirrels and anyone else you love. An annual tradition, and what a glorious, and delicious, one. Just don’t forget to grab your favorite dipping sauce. 

8-10pm End your break on a high note (literally) at the Bloomington Songwriter Showcase. The Player’s Pub, 424 S Walnut Street, always offers tons of free music events, and this is no exception. Tons of incredible musicians with different musical styles will perform, and a few special guests are even rumored to attend.