Director of "Hairspray" to appear at IU Cinema

From IDS reports

IU Cinema announced its fall lineup Tuesday, including films by writer and director John Waters, whose work includes cult classics such as the 1972 film “Pink Flamingos” and the 1988 film “Hairspray.”

The Cinema will be showing six of his films as part of “The Inimitable and Incomparable John Waters” film series — “Polyester” showing at 9:30 p.m. Friday, Aug. 28; “Female Trouble” showing at 9:30 p.m. Sept. 18; “Cry-Baby” showing at 7 p.m. Oct. 1; “Cecil B. DeMented” showing at 7 p.m. Oct. 2; “Serial Mom” showing at 10 p.m. Oct. 2; and “Pink Flamingos” showing at 11:59 p.m. Oct. 2. Waters is scheduled to appear Oct. 2 at IU Cinema as part of the Jorgensen Guest Filmmaker Lecture Series. His lecture is a free, ticketed event.

His 5 p.m. lecture will be a 45-minute version of his one-man show, “This Filthy World: Filthier and Dirtier.”

After the 7 p.m. showing of his film “Cecil B. DeMented,” Waters will take part in a question-and-answer session with the audience.

Associate Director of IU Cinema Brittany D. Friesner said she is delighted to have Waters’ films and appearance as part of the Cinema’s fall program.

She said she wants students to have an opportunity to learn from how he made his filmmaking 
aspirations into a reality.

“John Waters is the quintessential independent filmmaker who began making movies as a Baltimore teenager with nothing but an 
8 mm camera and a group of his friends,” Friesner said in an email. “His evolution from DIY filmmaker to celebrated Hollywood rebel is not only remarkable, but also inspirational.”

Waters was highlighted by the Film Society of Lincoln Center in September 2014. The ten-day event, “Fifty Years of John Waters: How Much Can You Take?,” celebrated the entirety of his work in film.

The Jorgensen Guest Filmmaker Lecture Series also includes rock filmmaker Penelope Spheeris on Sept. 11 as part of the Directed by Women series, and experimental musician and composer John Zorn on Oct. 7.

The full list of speakers can be found at cinema.indiana.edu, as well as the rest of the fall lineup.

Friesner said more than half of the IU Cinema’s screenings are free and she hopes students take advantage of the Cinema as a campus 
resource.

“Each semester, we work to curate a diverse and inclusive program, highlighting a broad scope of voices and stories in filmmaking,” Friesner said. “We are especially interested in seeing more students at the IU Cinema in the coming months and have included a selection of classic films, as well as new releases that we hope will appeal directly to the student population.”