sports men's soccer

Maurey leads Hoosiers to victory

The Hoosiers put their previous loss behind them to beat Western Michigan in an exhibition game, 2-0, Thursday night.

Goals from sophomore Grant Lillard and senior Femi Hollinger-Janzen ensured the Hoosiers would quickly rebound from the 2-1 loss they suffered against Valparaiso in their Monday exhibition game.

While senior Ben Maurey did not get onto the score sheet in this game, his performance throughout the game was more than enough to satisfy IU Coach Todd Yeagley.

“Overall I thought Ben had a nice performance,” Yeagley said. “I think in the first half he was one of our most consistent attackers. I thought Ben gave us what he needed to give us, and I was pleased with that.”

Maurey, a senior transfer from Brown University, proved to be a handful for the Western Michigan defense. Playing as a lone center forward, the former Bear showed a willingness to use his large frame to link the play with the three attacking midfielders playing behind him.

Maurey, who stands at 6-foot-5 and weighs 200 pounds, is more than just a traditional target man. A play in the first half showed Maurey has loads of speed and is more than willing to take on his marker.

Receiving the ball wide out on the left flank, Maurey was willing to engage in a foot race with the defenders and powered down the left flank, beating two defenders before sending a cross in.

Unlike a traditional target man who constantly dwells close to or in the penalty box, Maurey showed a willingness to go out wide to drag markers with him and make space for other rushing attackers.

His intelligent movement and willingness to work will be key, as it will create options for the three attacking midfielders playing behind him.

“He makes really good late runs, and he brings the physical ability to hold the ball up,” Yeagley said. “When you have a mobile attack, which we have, it brings players in late in our system, so I love that component.”

Yeagley said he hopes his new center forward can chip in with some goals, and he said he is hoping for him to get near the 10-goal mark.

“We like to see our strikers near the 10-goal mark, and we haven’t had that, but that’s something that I think Ben’s capable of,” Yeagley said.

Maurey’s aggressiveness will be helpful for an offense that scored just one goal against Valparaiso Monday.

The Hoosiers travel to Fort Wayne, Ind. Saturday to play Marquette in the Shindigz National Festival.