Hoosiers staying healthy

Members of the football team huddle up during a morning practice at Mellencamp Pavillion on Wednesday. The team's first game will be on September 5 against Indiana State at Memorial Stadium.

IU Coach Kevin Wilson spoke to the media Wednesday about the health of the roster, which has been in question since announcements that sophomore wide receiver J-Shun Harris would miss the season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament. Senior tackle Ralston Evans’ career ending because of medical hardship added to the roster’s questionable health.

Despite a few minor injuries, though, the Hoosiers’ roster remains fairly healthy.

Darius Latham

Junior defensive tackle Darius Latham is one of four returning defensive linemen and was slated as the starting defensive tackle on the Hoosiers’ two-deep in July. He had missed a large part of camp, though, as a result of a knee procedure because an undisclosed injury. This week, he has dressed and rejoined the team in practice.

“He’s getting that knee back to full speed. It’s getting close,” Wilson said. “We want to make sure not to rush that. They’re saying there’s some things he can do and can’t do, but when he goes, he looks full speed.”

Ty Smith

Junior walk-on safety Ty Smith was discovered to have a cracked vertebrae in his neck that will likely end his season. The injury was from a prior occurrence.

“We have to shut him down,” Wilson said. “He’ll have a procedure, and it might be one where he doesn’t get to play. He might get into helping his coach right now.”

Smith owns the Bloomington North record for most all-purpose yards in a career.

Camion Patrick

The redshirt sophomore receiver transferred from East Mississippi Community College, which is causing some issues with eligibility. The Hoosiers have been waiting all offseason for his transferred credits to be evaluated to determine whether he can play this season.

His eligibility could be determined within the next couple of days, Wilson said.

Ralston Evans

Evans was written as No. 1 in the right tackle slot of the offensive line before he was granted medical hardship, after a leg injury suffered in the offseason. He has since taken a student coaching role to remain on the team, and this season will be considered his senior year.

“He’s into it and he’s very serious,” Wilson said. “Our players like him a bunch. He’s a huge impact, and he’s the type of kid who is going to have a huge impact in life.”

Isaac James

Five-foot-eleven freshman receiver Isaac James has a crack in his scapula that will require surgery. It isn’t a serious injury, but he might miss enough time to redshirt the season.

James was a three-star recruit and the 13th-ranked ATH in Indiana in 2015.