Talking about campus safety

It’s important that you feel safe and are safe during your time here at IU. The IU Police Department operates on campus with a fleet of 13 vehicles and 39 full-time officers plus around 70 part-time officers and cadets.

It’s also important to remember that you have many resources at IU that work together to keep you safe.

We caught up with IUPD Chief Laury Flint to get the 4-1-1 on when you should dial ?9-1-1.

Who should I contact first in the event that I feel unsafe?

Please contact IUPD first and immediately if you feel unsafe for any reason.

What options do I have to get a safe ride home on campus?

Safety Escort (safety.indiana.edu) is a student-run transportation service for IU Bloomington students and staff as an alternative to walking alone at night. Safety Escort is funded through IU Parking Services, so there is no cost to ride.

Hours are Sunday through Thursday from 8pm to 1:45 a.m., and Friday/Saturday 8 p.m. to 11:45 p.m. Call (812) 855-SAFE (855-7233) for a ride. While summer classes are in session, hours are 8 p.m. to 11:45 p.m. seven days a week. The service stops taking calls before closing time if its call capacity is reached for the night.

Last spring the service went mobile by allowing Android and Apple device users to arrange for rides using the TapRide app. There are also several taxi services in Bloomington whose rates vary depending on the distance travelled.

What are those blue lights I see spread across campus?

The blue lights have a (red) button that can be pressed to immediately call 911 in the event of an emergency.

The location of the blue light is automatically communicated to the police. Blue lights also have the capability of allowing a caller to dial a local number in a non-emergency situation.

What is IUPD?

IUPD is Indiana University’s very own police department that operates all day, every day.

What’s the difference between IUPD and BPD?

IUPD’s primary area of jurisdiction is the IU campus, while Bloomington Police Department’s primary area of jurisdiction is the surrounding city.

Do you have any suggestions for how I can stay safest on campus?

If you see something that makes you feel uneasy or you consider to be unsafe, call 911 immediately. IUPD would rather respond and find that there is no problem than not receive a call.

IUPD offers several safety programs and group presentations, including the Rape Aggression Defense course. See indiana.edu/~iupd/communityPrograms.html for more information. Students are also encouraged to talk to police officers anytime, not just when there is a problem.

Part-time officers are full-time students at IU Bloomington who also completed the IU Police Academy to become fully sworn Indiana law enforcement officers. Many of them live in and/or work at the campus dormitories.

Are there social media accounts to follow to stay on top of campus safety?

It is important to keep contact information current for the university’s IU Notify emergency alert system. Students can do this by logging into one.iu.edu and conducting a search for IU Notify. IU Notify is used for two types of notices: emergency notifications warn students when they need to take immediate action to avoid danger, and crime alerts warn of ongoing threats or concerns of whichstudents should be aware such as a sexual assault.

Texts are the quickest way to receive the time-sensitive emergency notifications, so students should include their cell phone numbers with their IU Notify contact information.

The Bloomington Police Department has a Facebook page (Bloomington Police Department) and Twitter account ?@BltgINPolice that students, especially those living off-campus, might find useful.

Where is IUPD located and how can I contact the department?

IUPD is located at 1469 E. 17th St., west of Jordan Avenue. Non-emergency calls can be placed to 812-855-4111. Call 911 in case of emergency.