Former Ohio State safety hopes to find better fit at IU

A football scholarship to Ohio State, a 4-star rating and all that comes with it.

Jayme Thompson had what most players would dream of coming out of high school. But it wasn’t right for him.

He redshirted his freshman year. He was down on the depth chart behind other talented safeties, and the coaching staff was moving some cornerbacks over to his position as well. The change wasn’t academic- or discipline-related. It just wasn’t right for him.

So the Toledo, Ohio, native transferred to Iowa Western Community College, a prestigious junior college program which won the national championship in 2012. A little more than a year later, Thompson committed to play football for IU and became the ninth member of the 2016 recruiting class.

Iowa Western Coach Scott Strohmeier said Thompson’s decision to go to a junior college instead of transferring to another four-year program had a lot to do with not wanting to sit out another year of playing football. He wanted to compete and had just sat out an entire season.

Strohmeier doesn’t think he will take another opportunity to play Big Ten football for granted.

“I always tell people, ‘You don’t know what you have until you lose it,’” Strohmeier said. “Well obviously they have a lot of things at Ohio State. Now you go the junior college route, it’s a little bit different. So I think he’s going to be more appreciative of what he gets at Indiana.”

Thompson played safety for the Reviers in 2014, compiling over 80 tackles and two interceptions. But his skill set makes Strohmeier debate moving him around.

“I think one, he is physical. He is a great at tackling extremely well, and he’s physical. I think that’s the biggest strength to him,” Strohmeier said.

Strohmeier thinks Thompson’s physicality may be best suited as nickel formation outside linebacker. That way he can still be involved in pass coverage while utilizing his tackling ability even more.

Football aside, the junior college coaching staff was somewhat curious how a former Ohio State player would gel with players at a place like Iowa Western. Much to Strohmeier’s delight, Thompson made friends quickly. The coach said it was actually hard for Thompson to see some of his teammates leave after his first season.

“He’s got a neat personality,” Strohmeier said. “He’s not outspoken, but he gets along with guys.”

He consistently mentioned how much Thompson has matured as an individual during his time at Iowa Western. He hopes maturity led to Thompson making the correct decision with IU.

Strohmeier said he doesn’t like to get too involved with the recruitment of players. He is there if players need him, but he doesn’t interject his opinions unwarranted. 

“When you go from a four-year to a two-year and back to a four-year, you only got one shot,” Strohmeier said. “You have to make the right decision. And its got to be for more than what too many young kids get caught up in in facilities and jersey combinations and everyone has them. But now it’s academics. Do they have your major? Do you like the coaching staff? Do you have a chance to play?”

So when Thompson went on his visit, Strohmeier told him if he likes what he sees, tell them. There is no need to wait around. Thompson didn’t wait around. He committed two days later.