Weekly recruiting update

Three commits occupy the IU football 2016 recruiting class now that Auburn, Alabama running back Tyus Flakes committed to IU on Sunday. This still leaves a long list of spots which need to be filled, and summer tends to be the best time to do it.

IU has been holding its football camps for the past week, which have been littered with targets and other players looking to make their way onto the Hoosiers’ radar. Here is a look at this week’s updates.

IU offers Texas athlete

Maciah Long, out of Houston, is listed as a 3-star quarterback by 247sports, but most of his offers from major programs have been as a linebacker. IU offered Long on June 10, and he said he is “pretty interested” in the Hoosiers.

His other offers come from big schools like Ohio State, Missouri, UCLA and several more. He said no schools have separated themselves from the others yet.

Long is listed at 6-foot-2, 205 pounds and compiled over 3,000 yards last season at North Shore High School.

Pair of prospects look to earn IU offers

6-foot-5 offensive guard Kaleb Slaven wants an IU offer, and he isn’t hiding it. The Muncie native currently has offers from Ball State and Cincinnati but was trying to earn one from IU at the camp in Bloomington this week.

“Hopefully I did something special enough for the coaches to notice me a little more than the other attendants,” Slaven said.

He said IU would be his top school if it were to offer. He thinks the campus and facilities are great.

“Plus, the Big Ten is like no other,” Slaven said.

Another player looking to earn an IU offer is Lakewood, Ohio running back Cole Gest, who personally feels he has done enough at the camps this week to earn one.

“I thought I killed it,” Gest said. “I was the fastest running back. I was the quickest, my routes were the best and I caught almost every ball. I made a kid fall on one-on-ones.”

Gest said IU Offensive Coordinator Kevin Johns and Running Backs Coach Delan McCullough want to offer him, but IU Coach Kevin Wilson does not want to pull the trigger without more thought and research. ?

Wisconsin gains commitments from two IU targets

Carmel, Indiana linebacker Noah Burks, who 247sports analyst Steve Wiltfong said “can do everything,” committed to Wisconsin on Saturday. Hours later, Florida linebacker Dallas Jeanty announced he was joining Burks in Madison, Wisconsin.

Jeanty, also rated as a 3-star prospect by 247sports, had said in recent weeks that he was very highly considering IU.