Weekly recruiting update

Coach Kevin Wilson and the IU football team run out onto the field prior to the homecoming game against Michigan State on Saturday at Memorial Stadium.

With the addition of lineman Ryan Smith from Cincinnati’s Archbishop Moeller High School on Tuesday, IU football currently sits with two commits in the 2016 recruiting class.

Many recruits are making visits this month, and commitments may begin to increase as summer continues. In the meantime, here is where some IU targets stand in their recruitment ?processes.

Dallas Jeanty — Linebacker — Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

According to 247sports, Jeanty is a 3-star linebacker prospect who has had to persevere through a difficult background.

Jeanty has been homeless during much of his time in high school and has worked two jobs to keep things afloat. His father left when he was little.

He currently is living with a teacher who has taken him in, and major college football offers have been piling in.

He lists Miami, IU, Oregon State, Army, Notre Dame, Florida and Northern Illinois as his top schools at this moment.

He said making an unofficial visit to IU this summer is not feasible, but he definitely wants to take an official visit.

Despite his lack of ability to easily travels across the country, he does not consider location to be a factor in choosing schools. Academics, playing time and winning tradition are the most important to Jeanty.

Allen Cater — Defensive end — Kennesaw, Ga.

Cater is a less-touted prospect by recruiting services as he is not ranked by 247sports, and Rivals.com has him as a 2-star prospect. He has an offer from IU as well Cincinnati, Florida International and Memphis.

“I am liking IU,” Cater said. “I have the opportunity to play the position I want to play and help put IU on the map.”

The position Cater is referring to is the defensive end spot at the four-technique, which is inside of the offensive tackle. He said he likes the coaches and is visiting IU on June 20.

He said he has only talked to his parents about his top school list but confirmed that IU is one of them.

Cater wants the school he chooses to feel like home and wants an opportunity to play, but he considers having a great relationship with the coaches to be the most crucial factor in his decision. He wants to be on the right path to be successful when he graduates.

Indiana prospects go to other Big Ten schools

During the last week, six of 247sports’ top 15 players in the state of Indiana have committed to Big Ten schools other than IU.

Not much of this was exactly a surprise, but people on social media have found themselves concerned with IU not being able to lure more in-state prospects. The No. 1 and 2 recruits, defensive end Auston Robertson and wide receiver Austin Mack, were never considered to be within IU’s grasp. On Sunday, Robertson committed to Michigan State, and Mack committed to Ohio State.

Winchester running back Kiante Enis was a player that many felt might end up at IU, but he announced June 4 he will be playing at Michigan. Joining him will be Indianapolis Ben Davis athlete Chris Evans, another IU target.

The No. 14 and 15 recruits decided to play together in college. Carroll quarterback Aidan Smith and Homestead wide receiver Ben Skowronek both announced this week they will be Northwestern Wildcats.

It appears IU is falling behind Maryland and Wisconsin for highly-touted Carmel linebacker Noah Burks, who is No. 4 in the class, but IU is still in good position with Indiana players like defensive tackle Jovan Swann and running back Toks Akinribade.