3 Hoosiers competing in National Championships this weekend

Junior Terry Batemon qualified for the NCAA Championships in the pole vault event.

The Hoosiers will compete in their final meet of the season this week, as they travel to Eugene, Oregon, to participate in the NCAA Division I National Championships.

Three IU athletes — senior Rorey Hunter, junior Terry Batemon and sophomore Amanda Behnke — will compete in the competition beginnning Wednesday and ending Saturday, finishing each of their seasons while their teammates stay home to prepare for next season.

“I’m just telling them to be who they are,” IU Coach Ron Helmer said. “They don’t need to do anything special because they’ve already proven that they belong there, competing for a national championship.”

After sending four athletes to the indoor national championships earlier in the season, the Hoosiers will send three new faces to the outdoor championships.

Hunter is the only returning athlete, as he competed in the national championships last season in the same event, the 1,500 meter run.

“I think of all of the athletes Rorey has the best chance of placing close to the top in his event because he has been here before,” Helmer said. “He’s come a long way. He hasn’t had the year that he had last year, but he represents what we do well, and it’s very gratifying to see him compete here this weekend.”

Hunter finished ninth in the nation in his junior season with a time of 3:40.75, his personal best, while his season-best this year is just a 3:43.70, the 63rd best time in the nation.

According to Hunter, the lack of fast races this season was a contributor to his slower time, including his 3:57.48 second place finish at the Big Ten Championships.

The field this season is tailored to his advantage, Hunter said.

“This season, there isn’t really a runner who gets out fast and stays fast, so I can stay close to the front of the pack and maybe kick at the end,” Hunter said. “That’s closer to my style of running, and it suits me better than staying fast the whole race. I like my chances.”

Batemon is also calm and confident heading into the biggest meet of the season.

Representing the only Hoosier victory in the Big Ten Championships with his personal best jump of 5.36 meters, Batemon headed into the preliminary round with added confidence.

“I need to focus on my own jumps,” Batemon said. “Yeah, there are going to be some great jumpers there, some fantastic jumpers, but I just need to remind myself that I can only affect myself. Mastering every jump is the most important thing.”

After his season ended with an injury in 2014, Batemon was forced to redshirt his outdoor season, leaving him with little collegiate outdoor experience, let alone championship experience.

“I’d be lying if I told you I wasn’t nervous,” Batemon said, “It’s my first time going out there. But it’s a good nervous, a nervousness that can help me in the competition. It’s been a long road, so either way I am very proud of myself and how far I have come.”

On the women’s side, though, Behnke ran her first 10K at the Stanford Invitational in April, where she set her personal best time of 33:59.60, the sixth best time in IU history. Now she is competing in the national championships in the same event.

“I don’t really know what to expect,” Behnke said. “I’m just so excited to be in the atmosphere and run a fast race.”

Behnke took the final qualifying spot in the preliminary round.

Like Hunter, she also finished second in her event at the Big Ten Championships with a time of 34:14.17.

“I’m expecting another good effort from Amanda,” Helmer said. “She continuously gives good effort in tough competition, and she really thrives in difficult environments.”

As the three Hoosiers make their way to Eugene, Helmer continues to remind them they belong in the championship hunt.

“They are the best them,” Helmer said. “No one can do it for them. They just have to continue what they have been doing, and I know that they all have the ability to place pretty high in their events.”