Event calendar for finals week

School of Fine Arts BFA Thesis Exhibition Opening Reception

6-8 p.m. Friday, May 1, Grunwald Gallery of Art in the Henry Radford Hope School of Fine Arts

The sixth and final group of graduating bachelor of fine arts students is hosting an opening reception for its thesis exhibition.

The exhibition features photography by Rachel Ankney, paintings by Kayla Dunscombe and sculptures by Nelson Elliot.

The reception is free and open to the public. The exhibit has been on display since Thursday and closes Saturday.

“Wild Royalty” Opening Reception

5-8 p.m. Friday, May 1, Gather: Handmade Shoppe & Co.

Former Bloomington local Sally Jane Harless has a new exhibit going up at Gather.

“Wild Royalty” is a series of illustrated cut paper scenes of animals made by Harless.

Each piece features an animal made of watercolor, ink and textured paper displayed in a shadow box.

The reception is free and open to the public. The exhibit is on display at Gather through the rest of May.

Midnight Snack Comedy Final Performance

6 p.m. Saturday, May 2, Georgian Room in the Indiana Memorial Union

IU improvisational comedy troupe Midnight Snack Comedy has their final performance of the school year Saturday. The performance is a farewell show for senior troupe members and Kaitlyn Blansett, who will be studying abroad in the fall.

The performance is free and open to the public.

African American Choral Ensemble Spring Concert

8 p.m. Saturday, May 2, Buskirk-Chumley Theater

The IU African American Choral Ensemble has their spring concert at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater on Saturday. The ensemble, directed by Raymond Wise, performs various works by African-American composers from folk songs to contemporary gospel.

Tickets are $20 for adults, $10 for students with valid IDs and $10 for children ages 12and under. The doors open at 7:30 p.m.

COSMOS

6 p.m. Sunday, May 3, Buskirk-Chumley Theater

The Bloomington Symphony Orchestra and the Bloomington Chamber Singers perform English composer Gustav Holst’s orchestral suite “The Planets” on Sunday.

Images from NASA and narration by IU Astronomy Department members will accompany the performance. Zoie Hightower, the 2015 Youth Concerto Competition winner, will perform the first movement of Jean Sibelius’ “Violin Concerto in D minor.”

Doors open at 5:30 p.m. Tickets are $15 for adults, $10 for students ages 19 and older with a valid ID and free for children ages 18 and under.

BEAT Spring Show

7 p.m. Monday, May 4, Buskirk-Chumley Theater

Bloomington Expressive Arts Training’s student show choirs have their spring performance Monday. “Syncopation,” “Synchronicity” and “Mini-Sync,” BEAT’s three groups, are made up of students from ages 4-15.

The groups will perform popular choral music combined with choreography.

Tickets are $7 for adults, $5 for any student with a valid ID and $5 for children ages 18 and under. Doors open at ?6:30 p.m.