sports softball

The path to 1,000 wins

IU Softball Players stand on the field during the singing of the national anthem before their game against Rutgers University on Mar. 22.

1974 was the year Hall of Famer Hank Aaron passed Babe Ruth on the all-time home run list. It was the year future Hall of Famer Derek Jeter was welcomed into the world and the year late night said goodbye to “The Brady Bunch.” It was the year the original Rubik’s Cube was invented and a gallon of gas cost only 55 cents. As for IU in 1974, well, it established a softball program.

Fast-forward 41 years later, and, in a 9-2 IU victory against IPFW on March 15, the Hoosiers secured their 1,000th win in program history.

“It’s really special,” senior Shannon Cawley said. “I am so grateful to all the players before me who helped pave the way to reaching this milestone.”

Many great players and coaches have put on the red ponytail and have taken pride in wearing the cream and crimson uniform, where knowing the name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back, senior Lora Olson said.

“I never really understood it as a freshman,” Olson said. “But now I really understand what it means to put on that jersey and see Indiana written across your chest.”

IU has placed 17 All-Americans on the field, two of whom would go on to compete in the Olympics. The Hoosiers have combined for 24 no-hitters, three of which were perfect games, cementing pitching as the foundation of IU softball.

One of the most decorated pitchers in IU history did it in just one year of competing in Bloomington. After wanting to move closer to home after her junior season, former IU pitcher Morgan Melloh transferred from Fresno State put together a season for the ages in 2011.

Melloh made 47 starts for IU in her senior season, 40 of them resulting in complete games with 13 shutouts. Not only did she go on to break the IU strikeout record, but the Big Ten strikeout record as well with 494.

“It’s a great feeling to be holding the strikeout record for IU, but records are meant to be broken,” Melloh said. “It just encourages the next IU pitcher to have a goal and to succeed in their future.”

Melloh also posted a 1.37 season ERA on her way to recording 32 wins, which is good for third most in school history for a single-season.

“Just incredible,” IU Coach Michelle Gardner said. “I don’t know how else to explain Morgan other than that she is just an all-around great and talented softball player.”

Melloh is ninth on the NCAA career strikeout list with 1,532 strikeouts. IU would have liked to have had her all four years, but her senior season will never be forgotten, as she led the Hoosiers to their last NCAA Regional appearance.

Melloh still supports and represents her Hoosier family as she plays professional softball in Japan.

A pitcher on the mound is just as good as the runs her offense puts up for her. Former player Sara Olson was one of the best hitters to ever step foot in the batters box for IU.

Sara was the definition of an everyday player. She appeared in all but one game in her last three seasons. She finished her career at IU tied for fifth in home runs with 25 and sixth on IU’s all-time RBI list with 95 for her career.

“I have numerous memories of coming here and watching my sister play and now I’m grateful to be a part of it as well,” said Lora, who is the younger sister of Sara.

Sara Olson continues to be a part of the program, as she is currently a student assistant manager for the team.

Regardless of whether you’re a great pitcher or hitter, you need the right coaches and mentors, and IU has had an abundance of great coaches that have made IU softball a winning program.

“I was recruited to play here back in the ’80s,” Gardner said. “And I’m so grateful to now be part of such an amazing bunch of women who have been credited with so many wins, and it’s truly an honor.”

A total of seven coaches have coached throughout the history of IU softball, with the first being Jenny Johnson. It was a rough start, as it took Johnson six tries to earn the first win in program history. She went on to post a 6-7 record in her first and only season at IU.

Shortly after, Gayle Blevins became the IU Coach for seven years from 1980-87. Blevins put together the best overall winning percentage in IU softball history, posting a career 300-146-2 record without coaching a losing season.

Diane Stephenson coached for 14 years and recorded 402 wins, the longest coaching term and the most wins totaled by any coach at IU.

The IU Coach for the past seven years has been Michelle Gardner, who led the Hoosiers to the 1,000-win mark.

Freshmen Taylor Uden and Rebecca Blitz have said that, in the short time they have been here, their relationship with Coach Gardner is very relatable and gets her players to buy into the IU tradition.

“Coach has taught me so much,” Olson said. “Loves the game, and it’s great to have a coach so passionate about the game.”

Cawley describes her relationship with Gardner as special and doesn’t see her as “Coach” but instead as more of a mother figure.

“I’m grateful to be part of that list and have that many wins, but you can’t measure success in wins,” Gardner said. “The bottom line is that when my players walk out of here, I want them to be good people and go on to touch other people’s lives and I hope to have had a positive impact on them.”