Students learn about sexual health

Different sizes, types and textures of condoms from around the world were on display at Cupcakes and Condoms in the Frangipani Room of the Indiana Memorial Union on Monday. The event also had free cupcakes and condoms for students to take.

Balloons led the way to the Frangipani Room late Monday morning in the Indiana Memorial Union. Cupcakes lined the left side of the room while students working at the Cupcakes and Condoms event gathered around, setting up the different stations that would be opening soon.

Jasmine Utterback, a graduate student in charge of the event, moved around the room to make sure each table was set up properly.

IU senior Abby Gancer said she heard about Cupcakes and Condoms from her roommate, who was working the event, as well as from various social ?media outlets.

Some stations available for students included “How to Use Your Oven Mitt: Condoms Do’s and Don’ts,” a game involving proper condom use, “Let the Fingers Do the Walking: Touch and Feel,” which provided students the opportunity to feel different types of condoms, and “The Recipe for a Safe and Healthy Sex Life: STIs and Condom Use,” which shared information about sexually ?transmitted diseases.

Gancer said she was most surprised that about 90 percent of those with genital herpes are unaware of it, a statistic mentioned at the STD and condom use table.

“I feel like it spreads so much faster then,” she said.

Pairs of students raced to see who could properly put on and take off a condom the quickest on bananas and sex toys. They wore nighttime drunk goggles to warp their perceptions to get a sense of performing the same task while intoxicated.

Daytime drunk goggles were also provided for those who wanted to use them.

“It was a lot harder than I initially thought,” senior Marija Cacovski said. “The drunk goggles and actually thinking about every step of putting on a condom.”

Some students stood in front of a pink screen while holding up various accessories and signs to take pictures at the photo booth in the back of the room.

Samantha Ginther, an employee at OASIS, and Katie Barnhart, a sex educator at the Center for Sexual Health Promotion and Human Sexuality teacher, ran the “Mix It Up: Learn About Lube” station.

“It’s a very sex positive event and gives people options in a setting where people can make choices,” ?Barnhart said.

At the station, they had flavored and scented lubes, Ginther said. There were lubes specifically for males and females, organic lubes and multipurpose lubes for massages and sexual intercourse. The purpose of the station was to give people the opportunity to feel different types of lube.

“Or taste,” Ginther added.

The table “Sexpert in Residence: Dr. Debby Herbenick” opened up at about 12:30 p.m. Herbenick, associate research scientist in applied health science, was at the event for about a half an hour to answer different questions about sex that people were curious about.

“I think college students still have a lot to learn about condoms,” she said.

Herbenick talked to students about the safest methods of birth control and oral sex techniques.

“I know Jasmine, she’s worked with my classes before,” Herbenick said. “So I just wanted to support her and come be a part of it.”

Utterback said she was happy with the turnout of the event.

“Anytime that we have the opportunity to educate students about condom use, it’s a good thing,” she said.