Students go bald for charity

George Sprague, resident manager of Forest Residence Center, takes a video of himself getting shaved by Jackie Aynes, volunteer barber of the event, on Sunday afternoon at IU Teter Beach. “It’s really refreshing,” Sprague said after he shaved his head.

Three chairs dressed in green garland sat in the center of the makeshift stage. Corn hole boards were set up in the grass on Teter Quad.

Cans of green hairspray were offered for those not brave enough to shave, senior Hanna Jasemi said.

Senior Joshua Wilkinson was the first to approach the stage when the hair stylist arrived. The music was lowered as Jasemi announced his name, soon followed by the hum of a razor to his head. Jasemi joked that he was only in it for the free haircut.

Actually, Wilkinson said, he now shaves his head every spring for the St. Baldrick’s Foundation. Students gathered in Teter Quad on Sunday to raise funds and awareness for the foundation at the IU St. Baldrick’s Shaving Day.

“Since I’m already getting my hair cut anyway, I might as well do it in a venue that’s demonstrating care for people,” Wilkinson said.

The St. Baldrick’s Foundation is an organization devoted to raising money for childhood cancer research. Head shaving events can be organized through the foundation to promote the cause locally.

As a resident assistant for Teter, Jasemi said Sunday was her second time organizing the event. She was one of the shavees at the first campus St. Baldrick’s Shaving Day.

Jasemi said she used to wear her hair long, almost to her hips, until she had it shaved off. After a year, it rests just above her shoulders.

“People shave their heads for solidarity with other people — with children,” she said. “If I didn’t have to get a job, I’d totally do it again.”

Not only do shavees hold campaigns to raise money for the foundation, Jasemi said they also show children losing their own hair from chemotherapy that the definition of beauty is not limited.

“Not only are they fighting one of the worst diseases, they also have to go through the confines of being beautiful,” Jasemi said. “It can be beautiful — it’s something that should be encouraged.”

Jasemi said 11 people were signed up to be shaved.

“If you’re someone saying bald is beautiful, I don’t know, maybe it makes a difference,” she said.

One volunteer, sophomore Michael Michued, said he wanted to contribute to the cause with his shave.

“It’s kind of, like, something wild to do, but it’s also for a cause,” he said. “I don’t think I’ve ever had my hair that short.”

Michued said he was somewhat nervous to be shaved, but knew it would grow back quickly, unlike the children he was raising funds for. He said some of his funds sponsored a 4-year-old with cancer, Tyler.

Freshman Michael Gronsky stumbled across the event on the quad and said he came to support and dye his hair green.

He said the event allows students to contribute to a greater cause, even with smaller steps.

“You can do that through really small things,” he said. “It can be something simple like dying your hair.”

According to the St. Baldrick’s Foundation website, the IU Shaving Day raised $3,416 — a quaint event with a broader effect on people’s lives.

“For me, the opportunity to help people is the best thing you’ll ever be presented with in your life,” Gronsky said.

Toward the end of Wilkinson’s shave, Jasemi prompted the crowd for another cheer.

“I gotta be honest, Josh,” she said into the microphone. “I think you look better bald.”