Sigma Nu runs third annual Greek Bowl

Freshman Austin Weist of Theta Chi runs with the ball during the first game of the Greek Bowl on Monday in Dunn Meadow. Greek Bowl is Sigma Nu's philanthropy event benefitting the Middle Way House. Ten different fraternities are participating in the event.

The skies were open, pouring out spurts of rain. Dunn Meadow was muddy and puddles were starting to form on the grass. But the members of the Sigma Nu fraternity were ready to play football.

Monday, Sigma Nu started their third annual Greek Bowl flag football philanthropy, raising funds for Middle Way House in Bloomington. About $3,500 has been raised over the past year for the cause. The fraternity raised a total of more than $18,000 over the past three years they have worked with this ?philanthropy.

Middle Way House is an organization based in Bloomington dedicated to ending violence, both structurally and interpersonally, in the lives of women and children.

“We wanted to give back to Bloomington on a local level,” said Brett Krieg, IU junior and philanthropy chair of ?Sigma Nu.

The national organization of Sigma Nu is the St. Jude Foundation. Sigma Nu has donated proceeds of their philanthropies to the organization in past years but wanted to focus on the Bloomington community this year.

The fraternity is raising money though a combination of canning on campus, online donations and the teams in the football tournament. All greek houses are welcome to participate in the tournament. Each team must have 12 members and raise a total of $125 in order to gain their spot.

This year there are 10 fraternities, including Sigma Nu, in the competition. Theta Chi, Sigma Chi, Pi Kappa Alpha, Phi Sigma Kappa, Delta Sigma Phi, Pi Kappa Phi, Delta Upsilon, Phi Delta Theta and Sigma Alpha Mu are all participating in the tournament.

“We do this to give back, but it is also a lot of fun,” Krieg said. “It’s just friendly competition.”

The idea for Greek Bowl was based off other Sigma Nu chapters throughout the country. Football is a fraternity tradition, Krieg said.

The first game of the tournament was Sigma Nu against Theta Chi. Both teams had about eight players with alternates to start off the game. The referees, members of Sigma Nu, huddled up both teams to discuss the basic rules and regulations of the game prior to the start. Once both teams agreed to the rules, the game started.

“I just wanted to help out the squad today,” IU freshman and Theta Chi member Drew Johnson said. “I got faith in our team to be ?unstoppable.”

Each game consisted of two 20-minute running halves. Both teams were encouraged to give the game their all and add to the fun of the game.

“It’s fun watching people that are more athletic and less prone to injury than myself,” IU Linquistics Professor Markus ?Dickinson said.

Dickinson was walking past the tournament with his nephew and was intrigued by the game and the friendly competition.

“I am least informed about the greek system, but this is definitely a positive impression,” Dickinson said.

All Sigma Nu members of the team put on faces of enthusiasm for the game. Members of the team ranged from freshmen pledges to juniors.

“We bring the tenacity for sure,” IU freshman and Sigma Nu pledge Bradley Carlson said. “We are here to win for our entire house.”