'Memphis' tells rock 'n' roll’s story

entMemphis

A projection of a large radio loomed on-screen while the crowd filed into IU Auditorium. As the lights dimmed, an unseen announcer invited the audience back in time to the streets of Memphis and the birth of rock ‘n’ roll.

Through multiple microphone malfunctions, the Prather Touring theater troupe put on a high-energy performance of “Memphis” for a small crowd at the auditorium last night. The group performs the musical for a second and final time on campus tonight.

“Memphis” tells the story of Huey Calhoun, played by Daniel Hines, a white man with the goal of bringing “race music,” as the play’s white characters refer to it, to a mainstream white audience in Memphis, Tenn. Early in the play, Huey meets Felicia Farrell, played by Zuri Washington, in a black bar where she performs and dreams of becoming a music star.

The musical was first performed on Broadway in 2009, and in 2010 the show won four of the eight Tony Awards it was nominated for, including “Best Musical.” David Bryan, one of the founding members of Bon Jovi, and Joe DiPietro won the award for “Best Original Score.”

Jim Laughlin, a local pediatrician, said he and his wife, Catherine, sponsor some of the shows and like to see them every now and then ?for a night out.

“We enjoy coming because they’re always entertaining shows,” Laughlin said. “It’s nice to get away for a night.”

Screta and Fred Andrews came from Nashville, Ind., to see “Memphis.” Screta said they are IU Auditorium subscribers and thought the musical might be a good show, although they didn’t know much about it.

Fred said they both also like the opportunity to come to Bloomington.

The show’s cast and crew joined the audience for a post-show talk after the curtain closed on “Memphis.”

Doug Booher, IU ?Auditorium director, announced that students in the Thomas L. Atkins Living Learning Center were in attendance for the night’s show and talk. The learning center is a community dedicated to IU’s first African-American student body president.

Last night’s show also marked the final event of IU Auditorium’s 2014-15 season. Booher spoke briefly about the season and said the 2015-16 season, the Auditorium’s 75th season, will be announced May 3.

“This is a great way to end our 2014-2015 season,” Booher said.