sports baseball

IU preparing for a stretch of 5 games in 6 days

IU Coach Chris Lemonis has often praised the depth of his pitching staff. IU will need it this week.

The Hoosiers (21-11) begin a stretch of five games in six days Tuesday when they travel to play at Indiana State (14-19).

IU will then play Cincinnati at home on Wednesday before ?traveling to Illinois for a three-game ?series this upcoming weekend.

Lemonis said Sunday that he had no clue who he would start on the mound against Indiana State on Tuesday.

“We have to see how guys feel and see how we match up with rights and lefts,” Lemonis said. “We’ve got two really good midweek opponents in Evansville and Indiana State this week, so we ?really need to match up.”

IU also used one of its options for a midweek starter Sunday when junior Christian Morris was forced to start in IU’s 5-4 win against ?Rutgers.

Junior Scott Effross was originally scheduled to start the game, but Lemonis said he did not feel comfortable starting Efross because he was not fully healthy.

Another option is junior Kyle Hart, who last pitched 0.2 innings out of the ?bullpen Sunday, throwing ?14 pitches.

Hart has been recovering all season from a Tommy John surgery he underwent last April.

Sunday was the first time this season Hart has appeared out of the bullpen after starting two games ?earlier this season.

“I think it’s going to be a little bit of everything, just depending on what we need,” Lemonis said of Hart’s role going forward.

IU’s long reliever at the beginning of the season, Thomas Belcher, has struggled lately after starting the season with one of the lowest ERAs in the country.

At the start of the Michigan series April 4, Belcher had an ERA of 0.69. Now, Belcher has an ERA of 2.37 after allowing seven runs in his last four appearances, with a total of 4.1?innings.

Indiana State is scheduled to start Trent Lunsford, who is 0-2 this season with an 8.00 ERA in three starts this season.

Offensively, the Sycamores are led by Andy Young and Derek Hannahs, who are both tied for the team lead in hits with ?41 each.

Young is the team leader in RBIs with 41 and a slugging percentage at .537, while Hannahs leads the team in on-base percentage at .421.

Indiana State’s leader in home runs is Jacob Hayes, who has hit five this season, including three in his last four games.

The first pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m. today in ?Terre Haute.