sports softball

IU looks to build off strong weekend with trip to Indiana State

Members of the IU Softball team huddle up after Senior Pitcher Miranda Tamayo struck out an opposing player during IU's first game against Purdue Wednesday at the Andy Mohr Field. IU won 6-3 after Mena Fulton hit a 3-run home run during the last inning of the game.

The IU softball team will travel to Terre Haute on Tuesday for a midweek game against ?Indiana State.

“We need to keep the same mindset and take this momentum into this week’s matchups,” senior Miranda Tamayo said.

This will be the 75th meeting between the two schools, and IU has the advantage in the all-time series 56-18 and winning 10 of the last 11 meetings.

Last weekend the Hoosiers took two of three games in a series against Michigan State in IU’s last games at Andy Mohr Field this season.

Offense, which has been rough for the Hoosiers throughout the season, has come along these past few weeks, and Tamayo said the team is peaking at the right time.

Senior Shannon Cawley and junior Michelle Huber put together brilliant weekends for IU at ?the plate.

Cawley went 5-12 with six RBIs, eight runs scored and one home run, while Huber went 4-9 with six RBIs, three runs and one home run — a grand slam in Friday’s 9-8 loss to the Spartans.

“Right now we are very good hitting team,” senior Brianna Meyer said. “But we just need to stay ?focused.”

The Hoosiers have been rolling as of late. IU has won three of its last five games and in doing so clinched a Big Ten Tournament berth with Sunday’s 10-4 win against ?Michigan State.

With just a week left to go in the regular season, IU will look to use this last week to move up in the Big Ten standings before tournament play begins May 7.

“We have to come out and play,” IU Coach Michelle Gardner said. “We have to take care of our business and not worry about what everybody ?else is doing.”

After the game against Indiana State, the Hoosiers will travel to Columbus, Ohio, to play Ohio State in the last series of the regular season.

“We have to get back to work right away,” senior Lora Olson said. “The hitters need to keep swinging, we need to hold it down on the defense part, and we have to keep rolling.”