IU looks to bounce back against Cincinnati

IUBASEvsUL

Three days after losing its first home series in the history of Bart Kaufman Field, IU will try to bounce back at home today.

IU (18-10, 2-6) is scheduled to play Cincinnati (8-21, 2-4) at 5 p.m. after losing two out of three against Michigan last weekend.

IU has won 12 consecutive midweek games at Bart Kaufman Field. Its last loss was against Ball State 5-3 on April 17, 2013.

Cincinnati is 0-15 on the road this season but won two out of three at home last weekend against then-No. 6 UCF.

IU has not yet announced a starter for the game, but IU Coach Chris Lemonis said it would likely be a handful of pitchers contributing for the Hoosiers.

“It’ll be a whole staff type of deal,” Lemonis said. “Trying to get some guys out there to throw, and we’ve got to get some young guys going a little bit on the mound too.”

Cincinnati has also not announced a starter for today’s game. Overall, Cincinnati’s team ERA in 2015 is 5.85, more than two runs higher than IU’s season ERA ?of 3.38.

On offense the Bearcats are led by Ian Happ, who leads the team in batting average, home runs, RBIs, slugging percentage and stolen bases, along with five other offensive categories.

Happ’s batting average of .400 is higher than IU’s leader Craig Dedelow, .342, and almost .100 higher than anyone else on Cincinnati.

Cincinnati’s team batting average is just .226 compared to IU’s team batting average of .283.

Happ’s slugging percentage of .690 is also more than .100 higher than any player on IU or Cincinnati. Cincinnati is slugging just .322 as a team while IU’s team slugging percentage is .414.

His seven home runs this season equal what IU’s opponents have combined to hit against the Hoosiers this season.

Overall, IU has won six of its last seven games against Cincinnati. Six of the last eight meetings between the two have been decided by three runs or less, with the last meeting being a 7-4 Hoosier win in 2012.