Arts Commissioners allocate money to non-profit art projects

Martina Celerin, Abby Henkel, and Jean Kautt (from left) listen during a presentation proposing an artistic grant at City Hall on Wednesday.

Representatives of various Bloomington nonprofits met Wednesday at City Hall as board of arts commissioners prepared to review their requests for grant money.

Each nonprofit present had applied to the Zone Arts Grant Program for funding for upcoming art-based projects. The grant program is sponsored by the Bloomington Urban Enterprise Association with the goal of fostering projects that will enrich the city’s cultural life as well as stimulate the economy. According to the Arts and Economic Prosperity study released in 2012, Bloomington’s nonprofit arts culture industry put $72.3 million of direct expenditures into ?the economy.

LifeDesigns, Wonderlab, Bloomington Playwrights Project and Friends of Monroe County Public Library were among those that came before the commissioners.

Catherine Olmer, executive director of Wonderlab, was the first to present.

“The Indiana Arts Commission has deemed us ineligible for their grant,” Olmer said. “It was a big part of our funding for arts. People think of us as focusing on STEM, but I think of it as STEAM — the “A” is for art.”

Once Olmer finished, a dozen more nonprofits or their representatives were called before the meeting was over. Most people were asked few questions by the board. If they were asked questions, the focus was usually on project outreach, or clarification on where exactly the grant money would go should it be offered. Because the grant is based on need, the question of money rose frequently.

Scott Hannon had the most questions from the board. Hannon is associated with the nonprofit Leadership Bloomington-Monroe County, which is trying to revamp the pedestrian bridge that spans state Route 46 near the Route 37 entrance. Hannon said they would like to use aluminum sheeting to cover the bridge and have an artist create something on top of the sheeting.

So far, Hannon said the project has seen obstacles in getting approval from the Indiana Department of ?Transportation.

“We’re seeking this money to hire a structural engineer,” Hannon said. “INDOT gave us a bunch of hoops to ?jump through.”

Hannon also said he expected to see IU contribute funding to the project. Martina Celerin, another City Council-appointed board member, asked Hannon what exactly the money would be used for because he mentioned having support from IU and other corporate sponsors totaling up to $30,000 ?if approved.

“We’ve been relying on Bloomington’s heartstrings to get free or heavily discounted stuff,” Hannon said.

Celerin was still confused.

“I don’t understand where this money will be going,” Celerin said.

Hannon said they might pay the artist for the project, if the artist required it. Another board member told Hannon it seemed like the commission would be putting a “stamp of approval” on the project as opposed to funding a critical need.

Once all of the representatives had finished, the board members talked among themselves about each applicant. They debated who needed money the most, whose art projects would most successful in the community and which proposals were the best. The board members filled out score sheets that will be tallied and released later as public ?information.

If selected, a nonprofit will be given up to $4,000 for their proposed project and will be required to submit a report 30 days after their project ?was completed.

As he deliberated the selection of a particular nonprofit for the money, Barker spoke to the purpose of every person at the table and the drive that drove their scoring.

“As members of the Arts Commission, we are dedicated to Bloomington’s public art,” Barker said. A chorus of agreement rose from the group as their hands rose with their score sheets.