IU travels to Nashville for Southern Premier

The IU men’s team will travel to Nashville, Tenn., on Friday to compete in the 2015 Southern Premier, its last chance to compete before the NCAA Championships.

This will be a three-day meet that ends Sunday. The entire Hoosier team will not be participating in this tournament, just those who did not compete in the Big Ten Championships.

Sophomore Marijin van Zundert will be competing on Friday in the 100-meter breaststroke, 200-meter breaststroke and the 200-meter individual medley.

“I mean we’ve been training this whole season to see what you can do and to compare yourself with people that did go to Big Ten," Zundert said.

Zundert said other schools that will compete on Friday are Nashville, Cornell and Bolles School. He said Bolles is a good swimming prep school in Florida. The season will be finished after this tournament for those who will race in the NCAA Championships.

This will be the last tournament before the NCAA Zone Diving Championships that begin March 12. The Diving Championships will determine which divers make it to the NCAA Championships in Iowa City, Iowa, on March 26.

The women’s team does not have any competitions left before the Diving Championships, so the entire Hoosier team will be focused on the NCAA tournaments after this weekend.

Frank Bonner