IU football spring position previews: safeties

spIUvsPennSt

IU entered spring camp needing to replace senior safety and two-time academic All-American Mark Murphy.

It’s the second consecutive season that the Hoosiers have needed to replace a senior safety who was one of the team’s defensive anchors on a defense without many players to lean on.

Last season, Murphy was there to replace a graduated Greg Heban. This year, things are a bit different without a senior poised to step into Murphy’s shoes.

That could prove to be a good thing. While IU isn’t returning any to-be seniors, the Hoosiers have a core group of juniors and sophomores who earned playing time last season.

At the front of that group is junior Antonio Allen and sophomore Chase Dutra. On paper, the two complement each other well.

Allen’s a hard-hitting safety who rebounded from a torn ACL in 2013 to lead the Hoosiers with 74 tackles in 2014. He seems poised to take one of the starting spots in 2015, with his coverage ability only improving over time.

Dutra is more of a coverage safety. He had a breakout year last season with 26 tackles, five pass breakups and a team-leading three interceptions.

He may start spring camp as a favorite to grab one of the two starting spots, but he’ll certainly be pressured by sophomore Tony Fields, who appeared in all but one game and had 14 tackles last season.

Fields plays more like the hard-hitting Allen than Dutra. That could be used as an argument either way to start or not start him alongside Allen, depending on how confident IU is in the play of its cornerbacks.

Sophomore Kiante Walton also appeared in 11 games, making eight tackles. He’s already established himself as a potential rotation guy, and with Murphy graduating, spring camp will give him a chance to earn an even bigger role in 2015.

There was potential for freshman Zeke Walker to join the safety group, but it was announced Thursday that he’d be moving from quarterback to linebacker. That gives incoming 3-star recruits Jonathan Crawford and Jameel Cook one less competitor when they join the team later on and start competing for playing time.

IU’s pass defense has been frustratingly inconsistent the last few seasons, but with a young and experienced group competing for playing time, the spring camp provides a chance to sure up any inconsistencies.