GPSO under new leadership for 2015-16 year

Nathaniel Harbison (left), Benjamin Verdi and Skyler Hutto make up the new GPSO executive board.

The IU Graduate and Professional Student Organization, soon to be called the Graduate Professional Student Government, will be under new leadership.

GPSO representatives chose new elected officers during a general assembly meeting March 6.

The GPSO executive committee comprises four elected officers, four appointed officers and two hired staff.

Chosen by GPSO representatives, elected officers include the president, vice president, treasurer and parliamentarian.

The GPSO executive committee will nominate applicants for the appointed officer positions.

The GPSO general assembly will then approve the nominees.

Earning a $1,000 fellowship, the appointed officers include the awards officer, the benefits officer, the diversity officer and the sustainability officer.

Applications for the appointed officer positions are open until March 20.

The GPSO executive committee will also select applicants for the hired staff positions.

Earning a $12,500 stipend and a fee remission for 12 credit hours per fall and spring semester and six credit hours per summer semester, the hired staff include the community development coordinator and the communications coordinator, a position that will be held by current communications coordinator Jessie Mroz.

Meet the ?Representatives

Benjamin Verdi, president-elect: “Broadly speaking, I want GPSO to continue to lead on-campus sustainability issues.

But I also want to shine a brighter light on issues like sexual violence, particularly CAPS’ currently inadequate level of funding for the counseling of its victims, which IUSA addressed through an admirable resolution that took a lot of courage to author and press for, in addition to using GPSO to help students, through our events, outreach and on-campus, as well as online presence, gain access to the pre-professional resources they need to graduate from IU with jobs, and ultimately a better chance at paying off their loans.”

Earning a $12,500 stipend and a fee remission for 12 credit hours per fall and spring semester and six credit hours per summer semester, the president runs the general assembly meetings and executive board meetings, sits on various campus and university meetings and holds 15 hours of office hours each week.

Skyler Hutto, vice president-elect: “The most important tool any student government officer has is the opportunity to speak with his or her peers. This year, our graduate student committees have been more productive than ever before. All of my efforts next year will be focused on growing that trend by creating better means of communication among graduate students, assembly representatives and the GPSG officers.”

Earning a $1,000 fellowship, the vice president places GPSO delegates on campus and university committees as well as on GPSO standing and ad hoc committees.

Nathaniel Harbison, treasurer-elect: “By successfully developing and maintaining the GPSO’s budget, I will help ensure the organization remains financially healthy so that it can continue serving over 8,000 graduate and professional students. Additionally, I am excited to work closely with the GPSO’s newly elected president, Ben Verdi, to ensure we have all the finances necessary to meet our goals this upcoming year.”

Earning a $1,000 fellowship, the treasurer prepares the annual budget, maintains financial records and provides financial updates.

Adam Reneker, parliamentarian-elect: “I am excited to be parliamentarian, because one of the main parts of my job will be to help ensure the efficiency of GPSO ... Over the last five years, I have developed a sense of pride and responsibility for the University. GPSO works hard to help our campus continue to become a better place, and I hope to help the organization become more effective at our job.”

Earning a $1,000 fellowship, the parliamentarian takes minutes at general assembly meetings and executive board meetings, conducts the annual membership audit and is responsible for knowing the Robert’s Rules of Order.