Culture Shock to return in April

Culture Shock

This year WIUX, with support from Union Board, will bring Foxygen, Twin Peaks and TOPS to Dunn Meadow for this year’s Culture Shock Music Fesival on April 11.

Local and regional musicians Vista Kid Cruiser, Dietrich Jon, Thee Tsunamis, Mike Adams At His Honest Weight, Sirius Blvck and Oreo Jones are also on the lineup.

The student radio station has brought top acts such as Mac DeMarco, The War on Drugs and Maps & Atlases to IU’s campus for past ?Culture Shocks.

WIUX Special Events Directors Brendan Biesen and Ben Wittkugel said they started talking about the lineup for the 2015 Culture Shock as far back as last summer.

“It’s our biggest event of the year, so it’s a long-term project we all work really hard on,” Biesen said.

The two said they are both excited for this ?year’s acts.

Wittkugel said he thinks it’s great that the event’s headliner Foxygen is signed to local record label ?Jagjaguwar.

He also said he thinks the local acts this year are really strong.

Local band Thee Tsunamis, which Wittkugel labeled as garage rock, appeared on CMJ.com’s “Most Anticipated Releases for 2015” last month.

The list ranked the band among widely known musicians such as Modest Mouse and Kendrick ?Lamar.

Biesen said local band Dietrich Jon has grown enormously in the past few months. Mike Adams At His Honest Weight is a Bloomington staple, ?Wittkugel said, and Vista Kid Cruiser has brought a lot of new electronic music to ?Bloomington.

The idea of supporting community and local groups is an important aspect of the festival, Biesen said. Local record labels Jurassic Pop and Magnetic South are helping to sponsor the event, and stations for local businesses are promoting themselves as a part of the festival.

“It kind of gives everyone a taste of what WIUX’s culture represents, and it brings the Bloomington community together with the IU campus,” ?Biesen said.

Culture Shock has grown since its start in 1986, Biesen said. Numbers have accumulated with more than 1,000 attendants last year.

Wittkugel said they have also expanded the festival by bringing ?in things like bouncy ?houses.

He said part of what keeps attracting so many people to the festival is that it’s free, which they work all year with the WIUX Board of Directors to keep ?possible.

Biesen said some houses near Dunn Meadow had day parties going on during last year’s ?festival and joined in on the event.

“It was like the entire area surrounding Dunn Meadow became this celebration of music,” he said. “It was very cool.”

He said what has kept Culture Shock running is simple.

“We have a passion for music,” Biesen said.