Stop and Start creates art out of ordinary objects

Approaching the intersection of First and High streets, drivers may come across an image of a cow peeking out at them as she floats through space, a crescent moon looking fondly down at her.

A stick figure girl watches with big blue eyes and flaxen hair strewn out in every ?direction.

Paintings such as these cover almost 20 street corners in Bloomington as a result of a program named Stop and Start, which turns a most ordinary object — a traffic signal box — into a canvas for art.

“They’re not signs, they’re not advertising, they are primarily artistic expression,” said Miah Michaelson, assistant economic development director for the arts for the City of Bloomington.

Michaelson said the program is perfect for those wanting to do a mural-like project without the extensive amount of labor a typical mural would require.

“Some artists are really good at (painting murals) and they thrive on it, but there are other artists who would like to do something as publicly accessible but don’t necessarily have the skill set to do a big mural, or they just don’t want to do a big mural,” Michaelson said.

Michaelson said accessibility is a huge benefit, and several boxes have been painted by artists with disabilities as well as by elementary school students.

Drew Etienne is a local artist that has painted two traffic signal boxes.

“It was a lot of hard work, but I was pretty happy with the result and got some good feedback on it,” Etienne said.

A variety of individuals and organizations have painted boxes, so their contents range quite a bit.

Michaelson said this is the fun part of the project and shows a “sense of ?discovery.”

“It allows for a variety of viewpoints and a variety of artistic styles, and I think it really reflects the community really well,” she said.

So far, images range from roller derby girls to fruits and vegetables, Michaelson said. Some are simply abstract imaginings of the ?artists.

Design ideas are sent to Michaelson to be approved before the artist begins painting. Artists are allowed to put their name or the name of their organization on the boxes but cannot advertise, she said.

However, the public venue of the art provides recognition to the artists and organizations.

Etienne said he got positive feedback from passersby as he worked, which he said was the most rewarding part.

“I did have some interested parties contact me after seeing the finished boxes, which I really didn’t expect, so the exposure was great too,” he said.

Michaelson got the idea for the program while visiting other cities that already had something like it in place, she said.

“If you Google traffic signal boxes, you’ll see them all over,” she said. “It’s a great, accessible, sort of low cost-high value type of public art project that a lot of communities are interested in.”

Michaelson said she was worried about how well the boxes would sustain the Bloomington cold until she received images of painted traffic signal boxes in Alaska.

She said there have been instances where artists had to touch up chipped paintings, but no major damage has been caused by nature.

“They’re fairly hardy, and if it’s done with a good quality of paint then it’ll hold up for a while,” she said.

Artists are required to use metal-appropriate paint and apply a clear sealant after completing the project, materials they are reimbursed for up to $100, Michaelson said.

About one year after completing his first box, Etienne decided to do another — a brightly colored “abstract overhead view of the land in Indiana.”

“I wanted to do something that I hoped would resonate with people here for a long time to come,” ?he said.

The works of art remain until they are destroyed or no longer in good condition, which could mean an artist’s work will stay in place for several years.

“I think it’s an excellent program,” Etienne said. “We’re seeing more and more people put a lot of time and effort into things like this that have helped Bloomington not just be a city you live in, but a community that you’re proud to be a part of.”

Finished works can be viewed at bloomington.in.gov by clicking Arts & Culture, then Public Art and Exhibits, then Permanent Collection, then Pocket Art.

Interested parties may email Miah Michaelson with their design ideas at michaelm@bloomington.in.gov.