Sigma Phi Beta hosts 3rd annual drag show

The audience fell quiet as the emcee introduced the night’s third performer.

“She works as a shoe girl and is a showgirl on the weekends,” he said. “Here is Courtney Carson.”

The tall, curly-haired redhead strolled onto the runway, lip-synching “Don’t Cha” by the Pussycat Dolls.

Members of the audience proceeded to place dollar bills in her bra.

Many fashion shows are approached with the expectation of seeing contestants comparable to those of “America’s Next Top ?Model” strut down the runway.

Not this one.

The IU Sigma Phi Beta Fraternity chapter held their 3rd annual Drag for a Cause fashion show Thursday, Feb. 19 in Alumni Hall of the Indiana Memorial Union.

All proceeds were donated to the Positive Young People Foundation, a Los Angles-based organization aimed at spreading the knowledge and awareness associated with stopping the spread of HIV infections among today’s younger generation.

Sigma Phi Beta President Bryant Hayes said this year’s ?fashion show has high expectations for both the proceeds it will raise along with the attraction it will ?receive.

“We nearly raised $1,000 with last year’s show and we’re hoping to raise even more this year, specifically up to the $1,500 mark,” ?he said.

“Our show last year was held in the Whittenberger Auditorium and around 70 people came. The fact that this year’s is in Alumni Hall tells us it’s going to be bigger.”

At the end of the night, Sigma Phi Beta had raised a total ?of $661.90.

Hayes said in addition to an organization of their choice, ?proceeds of the fashion show in the past have also gone to the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender Student Support Services here on campus for scholarship funding.

This year’s Drag for a Cause started off differently from previous ones. The Positive Young People Foundation held a photograph project, “HIV ENDS WITH ME,” a free photo shoot for all participants before the drag show began.

“This is a brand new part of our event,” Hayes said. “It definitely brings more awareness to our cause.”

Sigma Phi Beta member Aaron Ye spoke of the importance Drag for a Cause has on not only his fraternity, but to the rest of campus as well.

“There are minorities all around our university and in society,” he said.

“This is a great chance for the people who go unnoticed to show what they’re passionate about and to show people things they usually wouldn’t take the time to look at.”

He also added that it doesn’t hurt that the event itself is a lot of fun.

Hayes said he agreed.

“We’re here helping a great cause,” he said. “Not many people know a lot about the GLBT community or even HIV.

This is a fun way for people to educate themselves, and tonight should have a very tangible outcome.”

Sigma Phi Beta member Daniel Trent said in addition to the fashion show being a great opportunity to learn, it’s an especially exciting night for everyone involved, including himself, as he was one of the drag models to walk down the runway.

“It’s my time to shine,” he said.