Pence considering presidential bid

There might be Indiana representation on the presidential ballot next year.

Indiana Gov. Mike Pence is considering a bid to run for president for the Republican Party in the upcoming election.

He is deciding whether to campaign for the presidency, or again for his current position as Indiana governor.

“I believe in servant leadership and the servant always asks, ‘Where am I needed most?’” Pence said in an interview with the Washington Post. “For me, public service is a calling, and ultimately, my family will approach it from that perspective — prayerfully, carefully, with humility and with a servant’s heart.”

Pence has said he won’t officially make a decision ?until the Indiana state legislative session ends in April.

His mother, Nancy Pence Fritsch, 82, had comments to offer on whether or not she thought her son should run for president next year.

In an interview with the Indianapolis Star, Fritsch said that she wants her son “to be my governor for two terms.” After two terms, however, it would be “wonderful” if he ran for president, she said.

While it is currently prohibited for a politician to simultaneously run for state and federal office, suggested legislation might make an ?exception.

Senate Bill 200, drafted by Indiana State Sen. Michael Delph, R-Carmel, would make it legal for someone to have their name appear twice on ballots in Indiana, for state and federal office.

This would effectively ?allow Pence to run both for governor and president, should he choose to do so.

Pence was elected to be the governor of Indiana in 2012.

He is currently in his first term, which will end following the election in 2016. Pence briefly entertained a bid for the presidency back in 2012.

Last week Mitt Romney, the presidential nominee from the Republican Party in the 2012 election cycle, announced that he would not be running in the 2016 presidential election.

Recently, Pence has been making a number of international trips, known as trade missions, in order to boost economic partnerships and enhance Indiana-based businesses abroad. Pence has embarked on five trade missions to Japan, Canada, the United Kingdom, Germany ?and Israel.

Other than Pence, there are a number of other politicians who have expressed significant interest in the presidential nomination from the Republican Party, including Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, former President George Bush’s brother, U.S. Sen. Rand Paul, R-Kentucky, U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Florida, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, U.S. House Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wisconsin, and U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas.

In recent years it has become increasingly expensive to fund a presidential campaign and for Pence, experts have indicated a possible connection between him and the billionaire political donors, Charles and David Koch.

According to an analysis by the National Journal in 2011, Pence’s cumulative fundraising total over the previous six runs for public office amounted to about $9.2 million but in a recent meeting headed by the Koch brothers, a budget was revealed for $889 million to be contributed during the 2016 presidential cycle.

“Gov. Pence is humbled to be mentioned for the ?highest office in the land,” said Pence’s Communications Director, Christy Denault. “But he is staying focused on the future of the people of Indiana. He and his family will take time following this legislative session to make a decision on his future.”